Ke70 Questions...Some Probably Stupid...

so I'm going after a ke70 its pretty nice but its auto, hopefully ill have it by tomorrow which means I'm going parts hunting tomorrow, its a 1.3 and i want to convert it to manual...can't seem to find many manual gearboxes around for one so could i get a list of compatible manual parts?

and also, whats a cheap/ p plater friendly way to get a little more power out of it, as my driveway is a little steep and my current 1.6 hatchback rolla struggles a bit haha cheers

Members dont see this ad

so I'm going after a ke70 its pretty nice but its auto, hopefully ill have it by tomorrow which means I'm going parts hunting tomorrow, its a 1.3 and i want to convert it to manual...can't seem to find many manual gearboxes around for one so could i get a list of compatible manual parts?

and also, whats a cheap/ p plater friendly way to get a little more power out of it, as my driveway is a little steep and my current 1.6 hatchback rolla struggles a bit haha cheers

G`day mate, changing your car to manual is just a matter of finding a 4 or 5 speed ke70 gearbox and a pedal box and a weekend with a couple of mates and a slab. Don`t forget that you`ll also need a flywheel, clutch and cable and a crankshaft spigot bush.

Wreckers are the place to start looking for what you need or buy a donor car (read clunker) and take all the bits you need. I suggest that you buy a Gregory`s workshop manual first though and familiarize yourself with it.

Tilt steering was never an option.

Cheers and good luck.

hey dude,

find some posts by a bloke called "altezzaclub" on here

he might jump in here if he sees the thread.

he did a nice write up on converting his car to manual.

i think its in the members ride, thread is like "girls ke70, mods anyone can do" or something.

pretty easy conversion, k40 and k50 is the gearbox you need (4 and 5 speed respectively). plenty of those around, k40 is usually under 100bucks, k50 around the 150 mark (5 speed is a bit more saught after)

5 speed is the way to go, 5th is good on highway.

for a first timer on the manual conversion i would allow 2 weekends, problems always arise....

Thanks Dave- I'm onto it!

Yeah, 5speed definately Lewis, its no more work to fit and really needed above 80kph.

Don't worry about extra power until you have the car and seen what its motor is like. If it needs ring and bearings then my latest fad is a rebore to 1500cc using 5K pistons. If its in good condition then more power comes from carbs, cam and exhaust, the same as usual. In theory none of that is legal, P-platers are not allowed to drive any car that "has been modified for more power". However, should you modify it for better fuel economy...

The Old fella has the best idea- buy a donor car complete. Any unregistered $400 manual paddock basher that is only good for parts, but is still driveable so you can make sure the gearbox is OK. If not, hit the wrecker with a shopping list. Don't rush it as the car will be fine as an auto for 6months while you hunt for bargains.

..and tilt steering comes in the turbo models with electric mirrors and power windows... keep an eye out at the wreckers... :laff:

Thanks Dave- I'm onto it!

Yeah, 5speed definately Lewis, its no more work to fit and really needed above 80kph.

Don't worry about extra power until you have the car and seen what its motor is like. If it needs ring and bearings then my latest fad is a rebore to 1500cc using 5K pistons. If its in good condition then more power comes from carbs, cam and exhaust, the same as usual. In theory none of that is legal, P-platers are not allowed to drive any car that "has been modified for more power". However, should you modify it for better fuel economy...

The Old fella has the best idea- buy a donor car complete. Any unregistered $400 manual paddock basher that is only good for parts, but is still driveable so you can make sure the gearbox is OK. If not, hit the wrecker with a shopping list. Don't rush it as the car will be fine as an auto for 6months while you hunt for bargains.

..and tilt steering comes in the turbo models with electric mirrors and power windows... keep an eye out at the wreckers... :laff:

haha yeah cheers guys, i was wondering what other gearboxes could fit someone told me a a manual gearbox from an ae80 would fit but couldnt find anything on the net about it and thats a good idea with the 5k, what was the 5k originally in? and so no tilt steering? cause I'm apparantly pretty tall and my knee hits the wheel pretty bad haha i guess it something i could get used to but i figured seeing as i be all up in the dash anyway it couldnt be too much hard to install a steering colum with tilt adjust...ah well haha ill get on all that thanks again guys

LoL! Did you drive a 1964 Mk1 Mini! The column damm near went down below your heels and your knees were always up above the dash.

You will see the column when you do your manual conversion, and also see why you'll never be able to get it any higher! Well, not without some trick work to the dash, pedalbox and cross-piece.

The 5K was in vans of the same age, so are all just as worn. Basically the same motor, they share the same crank & rods, so same stroke, but are bored out from 73mm to 80mm, giving 1500cc. The run hydraulic tappets instead of mechanical. Worry about it when you've owned it for 6months...

Have you caught up with that 'deceased estate' one? That seemed really overrated!

LoL! Did you drive a 1964 Mk1 Mini! The column damm near went down below your heels and your knees were always up above the dash.

You will see the column when you do your manual conversion, and also see why you'll never be able to get it any higher! Well, not without some trick work to the dash, pedalbox and cross-piece.

The 5K was in vans of the same age, so are all just as worn. Basically the same motor, they share the same crank & rods, so same stroke, but are bored out from 73mm to 80mm, giving 1500cc. The run hydraulic tappets instead of mechanical. Worry about it when you've owned it for 6months...

Have you caught up with that 'deceased estate' one? That seemed really overrated!

yeah i did, i drove for like an hour and a half and the car didnt start haha wasnt too bad inside though

haha yeah cheers guys, i was wondering what other gearboxes could fit someone told me a a manual gearbox from an ae80 would fit but couldnt find anything on the net about it

That would be a front wheel drive gearbox, C40 (4 speed) or C50 (5 speed) :) No good to you :no2:

oh awesome haha where do get one of those twinky steering wheels? off any twin cam rolla? haha also another thing, i want to put a new head unit it but i noticed the stock one is part of the dash...do i bust out a jigsaw and go to town on that bad boy or what? is there an easier way? haha

oh awesome haha where do get one of those twinky steering wheels? off any twin cam rolla? haha also another thing, i want to put a new head unit it but i noticed the stock one is part of the dash...do i bust out a jigsaw and go to town on that bad boy or what? is there an easier way? haha

If you can find an AE82 Twin Cam that still has the steering wheel in okay condition, grab it. I'm not sure if they had the 'Twin Cam 16' written across them in AE9x onwards... I think someone will know & mention it :)

It's been a few years since I had a KE70, I'll leave the head unit question to someone who has one :yes:

Edit: Your friend may have been thinking of the manual gearbox from the AE86 Corolla, which of course was rear wheel drive ;)

Edited by carbonboy

most twinky wheels are stuffed by now though.

mine is pretty had it, but it does sit nicely in the car.

as for the head unit, yep hack away.

i installed mine down just in front of the gearstick, in that little centre console thing. (may have been a tape deck there originally?)

either you will have to get creative with the mounting, as its not a standard DIN slot.