My Blue Splenda Wagon

seabiscuit

Hi Everyone,

Here is a bit of an introduction to my new wagon. It's a 82 KE70, which I've had for about 4 or 5 months and have cherished the shoit out of it (except for that damn clutch cable!). It has 330,000km on it and it still drives fantastic. Everything on it is standard, which I like, since I have a blank canvas to build my own daily to how I'd like it. The previous owner said that it had been resprayed some time in it's history, which looks to be true as the paint (however a little sensitive to scratching) is very presentable. The interior is original and a little bit grubby, but will clean up great when I get around to it. I really like the dark blue interior, which surprised me since I didn't know there was a dark blue KE70 interior option. She'll be a keeper for a long while, as long as I can keep a lid on it :)

The current plans for her are to get her ready for the 4000km+ road trip to Queensland (I'm in Canberra) in mid-late July, which I'm sure will be all smooth sailing. Nothing crazy - just necessities such as a stereo, roof racks for the extra luggage and ensuring she's running like clockwork. I was hoping to get a 60rwkw 5K rebuilt in time, but I haven't even had the luck of finding one cheap enough, so I broadened my search to look for 7K's and also worked 4K's to no avail (no offence to the 3K's, but I'd like to go forward rather than backward :P). Looks like the stocker will be slugging it all the way unfortunately.

Other plans that aren't limited to getting done before my trip include some awesome power mirrors, which are to fill in the lack of a passenger mirror! These are currently on my '82 Mazda 626 Deluxe Coupe. It's such a beaut cruiser, but I was hooked on Rolla's first :yes: . Putting my SSR MKII's (back) on, once I get some new tyres. The rear guards need a little persuasion to stop cutting up the sidewalls. I'd like to put them on before the trip, though, as they look fantastic on the car and it's putting me down, since I'm not getting all of the looks that I used to :P

That's enough writing for now, here's some pics of the Wagon.

These ones are before I bought it.

post-6910-0-87762600-1309352247_thumb.jpgpost-6910-0-83931900-1309352287_thumb.jpgpost-6910-0-01374400-1309352295_thumb.jpgpost-6910-0-57513000-1309352301_thumb.jpgpost-6910-0-85861600-1309352273_thumb.jpgpost-6910-0-15587600-1309352261_thumb.jpgpost-6910-0-54169500-1309352255_thumb.jpg

This is the most recent photo taken by Sloth at the Queanbeyan Hillclimb Carpark 19th June. It needs a wash :yes:

post-6910-0-04294800-1309351561_thumb.jpg

Edited by seabiscuit

Members dont see this ad

My first car, '83 CS had the same interior. That is a beautiful car man. It looks as if it just drove off the lot.

I've got a good ke70 clutch cable if you want it....

PS: that rear bumper looks like a work bench. :lolcry:

Edited by GJM85

Good cars always create a good start, Glad to see you bought it and your intentions on

it sound good. That blue is very pleasent, I have the same shade blue in the ke70 however its got the full vinyl interior,, The exterior colour is one you don't see too often, its called Tumut blue.

Its in good hands so things shall only get better :)

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate the kind words :) The colour of the car is what everyone, including me, like most about it.

About a month ago I was rear ended at a roundabout, which buggered the tailgate, the rear bumper and has also put a bit of a ding in the beaver panel. The whole ordeal has been a nightmare as his insurance decided to give me a payout, rather than fix it. I haven't settled, but they've offered me $1500 as a 2/3 condition car. This is the sort of thing that makes me want to cry as I need to give them "proof" that my car is worth more than their price. Pics up in a bit. Little busy tonight.

Has anyone ever tried to appeal for the value of their car?

Looks very nice Vince. :y:

It'd be better to check if you had it on Market Value, or Agreed Value on your Insurance Policy. You could take it to a Insurance Osbudsman - they're an immediator of Insurance. Hopes this helps.

Woz & Josh :cool:

Edited by ewt

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate the kind words :) The colour of the car is what everyone, including me, like most about it.

About a month ago I was rear ended at a roundabout, which buggered the tailgate, the rear bumper and has also put a bit of a ding in the beaver panel. The whole ordeal has been a nightmare as his insurance decided to give me a payout, rather than fix it. I haven't settled, but they've offered me $1500 as a 2/3 condition car. This is the sort of thing that makes me want to cry as I need to give them "proof" that my car is worth more than their price. Pics up in a bit. Little busy tonight.

Has anyone ever tried to appeal for the value of their car?

Its a shame it got rear ended, but if its fixable thats the bright side :y: I'm guessing its not full comp insurance as theres no agreed value on the car. 2/3 for condition? If you bring the car in for the assessor to view you can then justify why its worth the 3/3 value by pointing out key qualities it has which I'm sure you'd know. Originality, tidyiness, general condition of inside, outside, underneath and mecahnical. It goes on, being an enthusiast should help your case.

I had this issue with my old ae82, got rear ended by a Commodore making $3000 damage.

At the time dad and I were determined to keep the car so when dad brought it in to the assessor he explained the good points of the car, work that was done presenting all reciepts

etc,etc. Preety much saying it was a good car pre accident both mechanically and bodywise and was above average condition of the fleet of ae82 getting about.

So keep your chin up, it may be frustrating but try to open their eyes. Ask them to find a wagon in the same or better condition :)

Can't wait to see this thing develop. We'll have to take some more awesome photos of it (next ACT Rollaclub photo shoot you better show up).

If you need some interior bits I have some left over blue bits from my Ksev.

Can't wait to see this thing develop. We'll have to take some more awesome photos of it (next ACT Rollaclub photo shoot you better show up).

If you need some interior bits I have some left over blue bits from my Ksev.

I'll be there Craig. Bring your awesome camera! Ooh, I might be after some parts bro. Was yours dark blue too?

If finances work out, I'll be doing the insurance farting about after the trip, which will give me plenty of time to work out how to squeeze them by the balls and make them cough up everything of what my car WAS worth!

UPDATE TIME!

So I've been working on the roof racks recently. Here are some pics of them of how they would "fit" when I first picked them up.

post-6910-0-34936500-1309772645_thumb.jpgpost-6910-0-36529700-1309772661_thumb.jpgpost-6910-0-67351600-1309772923_thumb.jpgpost-6910-0-90004800-1309772940_thumb.jpg

The plan is to cut them down and take out 4 of the bars running across the roof, leaving 9 in total. It will end up going from where I want it to sit at the back to halfway along the drivers door. The mounts also need to be removed and brought in so they aren't too wide. I'm moving each side inwards approx 65mm to leave about 40mm of adjustment outward before they attach to the roof of my car. I'm also painting it RED! :D

So on Friday night I got to work cutting them down, ready to weld.. that reminds me that I have to pester my mate to borrow his welder!

This is what I started with... "The canvas". First thing I did was mark it out and work out where I was going to cut it so I could weld the pieces back together easily.

post-6910-0-64239800-1309774073_thumb.jpg

Next on the list was to remove the mounts, ready to be welded back on. This is the original position of the mounts. They will be moved in about 65mm.

post-6910-0-24486200-1309774040_thumb.jpg

I started to cut at the welds with a thin grinding wheel as carefully as I could so I didn't damage the frame. I nicked it a few times and couldn't help but cut into it slightly on some of the welds. I love the wing nuts. They don't make things like they used to!

post-6910-0-09640800-1309774013_thumb.jpg

So once I removed the mounts, I cleaned up the frame by grinding away the excess weld so it was all schmicko. I also cleaned up the mounts so I could get a good weld on them when they're ready to go back on!

post-6910-0-66754100-1309773913_thumb.jpg

All of the mounts removed

post-6910-0-06776800-1309774024_thumb.jpg

So after all of the mounts had been removed it was easier to manouver in the shed and get my sectioning cuts straight. I measured it all up and used a square to make sure everything was plumb before I started cutting.. As I've always been told to "measure twice, cut once". About 500mm (half a metre) of the middle came out and the two end pieces are going to be welded back together. That's all I did on Friday night and I've been trying to get hold of a welder so I can put the two pieces back together. In the meantime I've been taking off the old paint, with paint stripper, scourer and an abrasive grinding disc, ready for the RED! Can't wait to see how they turn out! :cool:

post-6910-0-64853200-1309774089_thumb.jpg

Edited by seabiscuit