Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Seeking Sage Like Advice Re: Ke70 Donk

Featured Replies

Hey all, this seems to be a fountain of knowledge (of sorts) and I thought I'd try and steal a bit of that.

I've just bought a shitty KE70 for my first car, and its a pretty solid little car as I'm sure your all aware of. Its currently got the 4K backed up by the 4spd, both in good condition. But I'd definetly like it to have a bit more poke. I've read about working the 4K/5K and that sounds like a viable option, but I was wondering what other options there are out there on a budget of sweet f@$k all? The 4AGE would be nice, and its cheap-ish but can't really justify it as the car would be off the road too long and it seems a bit exxy by my low standards. What I am looking for is something I can work on out of the car and then over a weekend dump it in and drive away come monday (thats the plan anyway...) What fits this criteria?

 

So far I've mainly considered the 4k/5k route, but ultimately I'd like to see 15's even if its a 15.999 (probably dreaming but hey...)

I'm tempted by the 2TG, from just browsing and reading they seem relatively good BFYB. and with a T18 rear end and a T50 it'd be pretty complete wouldn't it?

 

Basically I'd just like some peoples opinions on what I can do to get my 'rolla moving a bit quicker for minimal cost say; $1000. Yes I realise this has been covered before, but with this new segment of forums It needs filling, so here ya go.

 

Thanks a bunch,

 

Daniel.

15's for $1000 - nup, sorry.

 

First Car = Good

15 Second Quarter = Fast

First car + New Driver = Slow Car

Slow Car = Stock Ke70

15 second quarter + New driver = Not Yet.

 

Put a grand towards suspension, and tyres. Replace the break pads, hell, even put a genuine thermostat in it. It makes a big difference.

 

If anything, put a 5 speed in, it just makes freeway driving alot better :D

 

Also, put a toe bar on it, being able to use a small box trailer is very handy.

 

$.02

i think you would be very lucky to get 15s out of a naturally aspirated K motor in a street-trim ke70, they are quite heavy and the stock diff ratio is limiting in that regard. as for your budget, the cylinder head you would need would almost blow that away in one go

 

be prepared to spend more money than you have, and have your car off the road, you can't have everything for nothing

yeah, i reckon you could manage a 16 in a seventy with that gear. which would still cost you over a grand

 

you could theoretically pull off a high 15 in a ke20 or ke10, but it would depend on traction. you'd probably do it on a drag strip with vht, not on the street tho

I found that the burnouts on the street tyres did help, oddly enough

that is interesting, perhaps heat-related with your warmed-up tyres contacting the VHT traction compound on the strip? on normal roads, our g-tech research has shown that street tyres get consistently worse as they get scuffed in a burnout. at the hillclimbs, my A539s were grippier after they warmed up, but i guess they're borderline normal street tyres slash soft compoud race tyres huh

  • Author

Yeah I thought 15's was too much to ask, but dreams are free :(

Ok, well crashing down to reality...

Suspension is definetly an area that could be improved, so I might tend to that first. Then I may do ye olde I/H/E mods to the K, or just save my pennies.

 

Couple of random questions,

 

1. Whats a 'good' price for a Tacho Instrument cluster?

 

2. When it comes to suspension... how much is shared between different 'rolla models? I'd assume the AE71/KE70 share exactally the same suspension gear. But what about AE86's, TE71/72's? Transferrable?

 

3. Say I stretched the budget to $1500, I've been told by getting parts on the cheap this is almost 4AGE territory?

 

Sorry for all the questions!

 

Thanks once again everyone :lolcry:

I'm looking all up, with a brand new exhaust and a reco 4AGE about the 1600 mark buiding it up bit by bit. You wouldn't be dissapointed.

and we're talking everything. welding would be the hardest part

giggle gas and spare motors for the win!

 

What about a CA18DET. You can pickup an engine package for under $1000 if your lucky. I guarantee** instant 15 second, diff snapping action! Probably involves more DIY labour but it'll do what your asking.

 

**Conditions apply...

  • 2 weeks later...

ok i hear you want to run sub 16's then theres only one answer to this

 

20B....

 

well you will beat 16 but you will need a new diff...................

 

i would say at least a 12 if not better....

The guy with the standard SR20 non turbo in his KE30 ran 14.9.

Edited by Rolla__Boy

Sounds about right

 

but a ke30 weighs alot less then a ke70 rite?

Not by much

 

:D fair enough then, i thought there woulda been atleast a couple of hundred kg's in it, but i could be wrong, they just seem so much smaller so i assumed a shizer load lighter. interesting to know

 

anyone know the time a 70 with a n/a 1g-ge in it mite run?

~andrew~

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.