22Re, 2Rz Into Ke70

Members dont see this ad

Hmmm.... Could this have something to do with it?

However, its weakness is high-end power. The 22R has a large displacement and a strong block, but its comparatively long stroke limits its use in high revving applications. Thus, the Toyota 18R-G, 2T-G, 4A-GE and 3S-GE 4-cylinder engines are better suited for performance applications.

The 2Rz is an FE motor, reliable, economic and emissions-friendly, great for a ute but when people go to the trouble of swapping an engine they go for a 'G' motor. The 2RzFE puts out 140bhp from 2.4L, while a performance Toyota G engine would get 230bhp from that.

It really depends on what your looking for. The 2Rz looks better to play with, I see a guy can turn in 7.2sec quarters at 193mph with one...

What are the 4WD guys getting out of their Hiluxes with it??

Hmmm.... Could this have something to do with it?

The 2Rz is an FE motor, reliable, economic and emissions-friendly, great for a ute but when people go to the trouble of swapping an engine they go for a 'G' motor. The 2RzFE puts out 140bhp from 2.4L, while a performance Toyota G engine would get 230bhp from that.

It really depends on what your looking for. The 2Rz looks better to play with, I see a guy can turn in 7.2sec quarters at 193mph with one...

What are the 4WD guys getting out of their Hiluxes with it??

In the USA it seem to be a popular conversion.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-conversions/11999-3rz-into-ke70%3D-torque-monster-later-turbo.html

one of the links ive read... they talk about 1000+hp.

not to interested in 1000+hp car. but i would like a bit more power than the 4k i have, and would also like something quicker than a v6 commo.

its going in a wagon, and i don't see much work needed to put it in. as the hilux wagon are both rwd, and motor/boxes are common as so parts should be easy to find if any issues.

from what i have read up on the 4age combo seems like a costly project and could take some time. but hey ive never done the conversion.

If you're not looking for screaming revs performance the 2Rz would be good. Plenty of torque from the bigger motor, a step up in efficiency from the 4K and more than enough power for a lightweight wagon. It makes more power per L than the 3R, and more than double a 4K!!.

Pod air filter, cams cut & an exhaust system would match some aftermarket computer if you were keen.

the 2rz seems slightly easier to install/modify, only coz the 3rz seems to need a bit of sump modifying.. which isnt that hard ether.. also the cost i guess comes into the 3rz, not sure what they cost atm but i assume they cost more than the 22r or the 2rz.

not to fazed with a revy motor, would be nice but I'm pretty sure the extra torque would be more suited for my style of driving/fun. ill need to get the exhuast done anyways so i might as well get some headers straight up. saves wasting money later on and i have already for a pod setup waiting.

any idea on how well these motors will handle a turbo? it seems the 3rz can handle a bit as long as you don't rev over 6500 with more than 10p boost. wont be turboing just yet but maybe an option later on.

Speaking of truck motors... The Opel Manta 400 that people like Henri Toivonen and Russell Brookes & Colin McRae rallied....

Opel however had problems with the engine. The first idea of using a 2.0 litre engine and then using the 16 valve head from Cosworth simply did not give enough power. The problem was that the heads had already been built, so the heads were made to fit on the CIH type 4 cylinder engine block. So they built an unusual engine using a 2.0 litre engine block with an overbore and larger pistons, a crankshaft from the 2.3 litre diesel engine of same type (CIH) and ended with a 2.4 litre engine block. Mounting the 16 valve head on this gave a massive output....

The engine output was 230 bhp (172 kW) using a set of 48 mm (1.9 in) DCOE style carburettors, and the cars could be delivered with different gearboxes from ZF and with different rear axle options like LSD.

So big-4 agricultural engines can go!

You'll see Toivonen doing some great work with one here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAb6ZJTnlZo&NR=1