Beams Into Ke30

phil86

Hey I'm new and have 2 questions, I want to put a beams into my Ke30 4dr sedan but have no idea and want it done right so I was wondering if anyone knows a shop in western Sydney that would do this and preferably a shop that has done something similar. Second part is approx how much will I be up for considering I can't really do any work myself? Any help would be great

Members dont see this ad

if you are going to pay someone to do it...sell your ke30, and spend all your money on buying a complete altessa, so you have the same engine, in a comfortable and new car.

paying someone to do such a conversion is just not worth it, and buying a complete altessa may even be cheaper in the long run.

30 grand...

Hmmm.. maybe you could tempt me to sell you mine.

What they say is true, its 10grand if you do a lot of work yourself, so you're looking at the $20k+, unless you could find a garage that has already done a couple of them so they know what to do.

School holidays still?

sorry if we have put your off phil86.

but you need to understand that such a conversion you are talking about, is pretty much 100% custom.

if you can even just pay someone to make your engine mount, and you do the rest that will save you $1000's.

most guys who do this sort of work, will charge about $90-100/hour, maybe even more. a standard mechanic charges $70-80/hr. and with the time required to do such a conversion for you. it wont take long to work up 60hrs. and there is $6000 just in labor. add $3k for a half cut, tailshaft, fuel, wiring requirements. its racing towards $10k quite easily.

just out of interest we put a ca18det into my mates ae86, did everything we could ourselves (did everything except exhaust, and we bought engine mounts), still wasn't much change from $6k.

and i haven't even considered, brakes, suspension and engineering certification....that could easily be an additional $5k.

Actually, the way to tackle it is to chat to the local certification enginer you would be using and find out how many thousand he would want, plus what he would want you to do. That will explain where the $15-20k will go and give you an idea of the complexity.

Then go and rebuild & modify a 4K so you learn about building engines. Rebore, 5K pistons, cam, head job, Weber or SUs or quads, extractors and exhaust.

While you blast around with that you can be upgrading the suspension and brakes.

Then do your first engine conversion with something cheap like a T series motor, and do the gearbox and diff at the same time.

If you still own the car after that you can organise the 3SG-E. Make sure you get a post-2001 manual front cut, they'll be a lot cheaper in 10years....

So my budget is about $6k lol, I still have the standard 3k and my diff is screwed(makes a bad whining sound) what would be involved in putting a worked 5k in it?(will it need a bunch of changes to wiring etc?) I would want to change the gearbox to a 5dp and will need a new diff, how much approx for parts? And what parts will I need(what gearbox, what diff anything else I will need to upgrade or change?). What sort of power can you expect from a decent 5k?

Guest pmp16

To put 5k in Just change engine mount around use k50 box or t5o I find one with k bellhousing .. No wiring needs to be changed unless u go EFI .. U will prob need to change crank pulleys over Nd water pump depending hoe much room u hav for radiator ,. Wouldn't have clue what power from worked on but they get round 75kw I think .. Ur best to look at ride threads from fellow rolla club members

could get 5k for round 400

Edited by pmp16

As far as I know all of the K motors run on the same wiring, gearbox and diff unless they are fuel injected.

The wiring for the motor is dead simple, and any later emission stuff added can usually be removed.

There are differences in the length of the gearboxes, so a later (longer) 5speed gearbox will need the gearlever hole moving or the rear of the gearbox changing.

You could get a stock diff from here, or a wrecker, and fit it easily.

5Ks are harder to find than 4Ks, you could get a 4K for free if you're lucky then strip it and rebuild it. The main thing is to learn all about doing motors up rather than having to pay people to do it, or just dropping something in. If you stuff up a 4K rebuild you've only ruined a few hundred bucks. You can bore the 4K out to 80mm and get a 1500cc 4K motor.

Read all the member's build topics, the Wiki and the technical/engine building stuff.

Start here, easy stuff to do-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/page__p__445727__fromsearch__1#entry445727

I was working out figures for a BEAMS conversion in my '25 a few weeks back. With everything to suit legal requirements, i.e. engine in, brakes/suspension upgraded, diff upgraded, everything mounted properly/safely, wired up, exhaust done, tail shaft modified etc etc) I had a figure of $15k approx. That is a lot of work done by myself as well.

$6k wouldn't even put a 4age in, if you aren't doing anything yourself.

I suggest, do some research on the 5K (plenty of people have done this in their ke1X / ke2X / ke3X / ke5X etc.), there is a lot of information on this forum. Pretty easy motor to swap over if you look in to it and have the tools to do it. Plus it is a good learning experience to do it yourself.

Good luck,

Cheers

Mick