Ke30 Coilover Conversion

haydoss

Hey guys,

I've done a fair amount of research but haven't found anything definitive of what i'd like to know.

Note: I'm doing this on a budget haha

I'm looking at doing a coilover conversion to the front of my ke30 with the HSD coilover sleeve kit. I'd like the sleeve to be going on XT130/AE86 struts. What inserts should i be looking for to replace the existing ones? i have read short stroke camry? or celica ones, not quite sure what i should be looking for.. once again, i'd like the inserts to be cheap (lol)

If i can't get a hold of XT130/AE86 struts, would ke55 struts/breaks be suitable for use of the coilover sleeve?

Would S13 coilovers be cheaper to put in?

Once again, sorry if this has been covered but i couldn't find the answers i was looking for..

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Hayden :happy:

Edited by haydoss

Members dont see this ad

I'm sure you can get a coilover sleeve to suit the KE30 strut diameter, but you probably won't find any (worthy) short stroke inserts that will allow a significantly lowered ride height.

S13 would be cheaper but they mess up all of your suspension geometry. The spring rates will likely be way too stiff and you will have a large track increase that will limit your wheel choice, also you need to change master cylinder if you go for SR20 brakes I'm pretty sure. And you will also need larger wheels; 14" for CA18 brakes and 15" for SR20 brakes. I've heard it makes your steering heavy too. Note: I have no actual experience with S13 suspension in a KE, this is just from what I've seen or read.

Some inserts you could use in AE86/XT130 struts: MR2 SW20, ST185 Celica, ST204 Celica, AE92 Corolla, some sort of Camry?

Here is a related thread with the dimensions of possible front inserts:

AE86 Front Short Stroke Insert

Edited by rianwest

If I recall correctly.. the outer diameter of the ke strut housing is 48mm... the outer diameter of the xt130 strut is 51mm

So they take a different sleeve kit.

And has been explained, the xt130 is a better choice as it opens up your options for inserts, as well as upgrading the brakes relatively cheaply.

In my AE71 I did the XT130 conversion. Even with just single piston calipers (from the early more common XT130) and Lucas pads it's a big difference. I bought my shocks cheap off a bloke who got them new and did not use them, he said they were to suit an ST185 Celica, they're KYB Excel G's. I cut 50mm out of my strut tubes and re-welded before sleeving. There's no real cheap way of doing a coilover conversion but I'll give you what I payed for my stuff as a guide.

Sleeve kit $300+post

Shocks $150+post

XT130 struts, complete brakes, steering knuckles and LCA's for $180 at pick-a-part

New wheel bearings $30

Machine disks $40

Lucas pads $80

Camber tops $100+post +30 for new spherical bearings +time for me to restore and make spacers (Next time I think I'll buy new camber tops)

RCA's $100

New bushes for my whole front end along with balljoints and tierods $can't remember

Before buying Corona struts I would suggest checking the stub axle/king pin angle on you corolla against the corona. On an E7 rolla I think you get slightly positive camber from installing XT130 struts if you leave the corolla LCA's and standard tops in. If you're going with camber tops I would be less worried about it. Also something else to note is you'll probably just keep your original KE30 LCA's as I think they're same length as XT130 (KE70/AE71 are shorter)

I hope some of that info helps.