Ke70 Khana Car

sepblaster

Hey All,

The story goes "the wife wanted to start rally, so I thought we'd start with something we can have some fun in and see if we're serious." I don't know one guy that wouldn't say OK if his better half wanted to get into motorsport!!!

Just putting the car up for people to see...

Not much special going on on the outside, or inside for that matter!

Bought the car for 400 big ones off the side of the road. It was owned by a few young guys that thrashed it round the paddock. Too good for that I thought so I saved it from a certain miserable death!!

Since having it I had the hotbox gasket replaced. It was a bit leaky and the reason the young guys weren't driving it. They apparently thought it was going to blow up?! I drove it home 40km's with a vicroads permit. Ran like a dream, exhaust swaying in the wind and radio crackling.

So I pulled out radio centre console etc, didn't need that stuff. I sourced some challengers off here (thanks swl-42) put the good two tyres on the front and the crap ones on the back. I also got a bolt and some hoop iron (bracing strap for houses - i'm a chippy) and braced the muffler so we could race a khanacross.

We went well (wife and me - racing same car seperately) I came 8th overall in the stock 1300! and she drove scary well almost pipping me on a few runs!

Since then I got some redback 4-1 extractors (fitted the one piece gasket and removed all the vac sh*t) put onto 2inch exhaust straight through to a lukey 'turbo' sports muffler with a 2 inch tip. Sounds like a rally car now! Bit harder to start, can take a few shots (guessing it's lack of back pressure?? Not fussed at the moment)

Bought a 32/36 weber for it and the adaptor plate to suit the stock manifold. But I've since decided that's not the way to go and I've changed plan. So now I have a single 40mm sidedraught weber on the way and will get a manifold to mount it all up when I can.

Will be getting it jetted and tuned by someone who knows what they're doing around here somewhere and see how we are going for power then.

Will look into some suspension and traction aids next! No mods to the engine till something goes!

On the inside I've put a dished rally style OMP replica steering wheel and pulled the spring from the handbrake replacing it with one of those nifty AJPS screw in jobby's to get rid of the rachet... Handy upgrade until funds permit for hydraulic handbrake!

Getting historic club rego for it soon, need a new windscreen first. Then get some lights etc. so we can do some touring assemblies at night on the new log book scheme! Once we have that rego I'll be taking the rear seats, carpet, deadener etc etc and make up some kind of roll cage for peace of mind - ie. not chromoly and not CAMS approved...

The motorkhana we were entered in was called off due to rain (grass motorkhana) a couple of weeks ago, so looking forward to another khanacross on the 28th of this month! Haven't had the chance to really rev out the new exhaust. Neighbours wouldn't appreciate it much...

Always happy to take advice on setup etc, so feel free to let me know if i'm goign about something arse about!!

Will get some more pictures up after the khanacross :dance:

Cheers

post-12177-0-79669100-1313556252_thumb.jpg

post-12177-0-94958900-1313556310_thumb.jpg

post-12177-0-90506100-1313556536_thumb.jpg

post-12177-0-63087100-1313556574_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Muffler is low- hope the grass is always really smooth...

Keep it high and stiffen it- high-pressure gas shocks & heavier springs.

Going to lock the diff??

Battery to the boot?

Higher lift cam that pulls from lowdown...

How about a sumpguard? Even a fibreglass one would help the sump ride over rocks in a place they shouldn't be, or a sheet of alloy bent to fit. Have it go right back to cover the front of the gearbox, as you don't want a rock sliding off the end of your short guard and ripping the gearbox off.

If your on the gravel then weld covers on to protect the brake lines as they go into the cylinders and run the rear lines inside the car. A cover for the fuel line might be a good idea too.

Hi mate,

good luck with the new venture. I hope it all goes well for you both. I take it you are in VIC. If so and you want to have a go at a Khanacross on our hill climb track, you are more than welcome. We hold a Kahanacross once a month and cater for all. (Kids from 12 years old up to old farts like me.) The next one is on the 4th of Sept. We are prety casual about scrutineering just as long as the car is safe. You will need a Cams L2 licence (which you can get on the day if you don't have one already.) If you or any other Rolla club members need any more info, contact the Gippsland Car Club, Kahanacross Director ( me ) on 0427 852179. BTW, its only $15 for junior's and $20 for adults.

http://www.gippslandcarclub.com.au/documents/gcc_calendar.pdf

http://www.gippslandcarclub.com.au/about.html

Cheers, Paul.

Muffler is low- hope the grass is always really smooth...

Keep it high and stiffen it- high-pressure gas shocks & heavier springs.

Going to lock the diff??

Battery to the boot?

Higher lift cam that pulls from lowdown...

How about a sumpguard?

Will get there on most of this stuff... Won't be doing a cam until something goes wrong with the motor and it needs to be taken apart!! ha.

Not sure about locking the diff just yet, worried about understeer from lack of power - probably not too much of an issue off the tarmac I guess...

Battery will be going to the boot when I get the manifold for the carb and fit all that up. Plan on making some kind of cold air intake box that comes from where the battery is now - rather than blocking in front of the radiator.

Can anyone recommend gas shocks that won't cost the earth?? Model numbers for standard height?? I plan on getting stiffer rate but same height king springs when funds permit.

As for the muffler, it's actually pretty high, just the patch of grass I parked the car on is quite high too! :blush:

Hi mate,

good luck with the new venture. I hope it all goes well for you both. I take it you are in VIC. If so and you want to have a go at a Khanacross on our hill climb track, you are more than welcome. We hold a Kahanacross once a month and cater for all. (Kids from 12 years old up to old farts like me.) The next one is on the 4th of Sept. We are prety casual about scrutineering just as long as the car is safe. You will need a Cams L2 licence (which you can get on the day if you don't have one already.) If you or any other Rolla club members need any more info, contact the Gippsland Car Club, Kahanacross Director ( me ) on 0427 852179. BTW, its only $15 for junior's and $20 for adults.

http://www.gippslandcarclub.com.au/documents/gcc_calendar.pdf

http://www.gippslandcarclub.com.au/about.html

Cheers, Paul.

Gippsland is a fair drive with a car trailer from the north east!! In beechworth - between wangaratta and bright. Head down to Sadny Point at the Prom reguarly as we have a place down there, so I might try and tie in a visit, maybe khana the wife's daily??! :lolcry:

I'm in the process of doing the same sort of thing with my KE70, I look forward to seeing how you go and maybe stealing a few ideas every now and then :)

I might just be stealing ideas off you too! haha. I keep eyeing off the mods on the scott motorsports ke, thinking if I can do half of those at half the price I should have a pretty fun car! (keeping the 4k though... Love being in the 1300cc class for the khanacross's, it's only worked mini's with LSD fronts that you have to worry about!)

Will be sure to keep the posts coming, glad I put it on here actually - helps with the motivation!

Joe

Yeah those guys have been really helpful to me with setup tips, they're an inspiration! I plan in staying 1300 for quite some time. I need to learn how to drive quickly and will probably sort the handling first. If you can go quick with little power, then more is more! :)

I have a locked diff in the back off mine and didn't really notice under steer being too bad. I have some traction issues though, mostly because of god awful back tyres and really hard back springs. I have since softened them up and have some rally tyres now. I haven't had a run yet with the new config though. I'm hoping it will make a big difference. I might also remove the rear bar at some stage.

i had a locked diff when my motor was stock and doesnt understeer locked diff is faster trust me i win all the khanacrosses here in wagga and backpressure is a myth so your exhaust is good how it is just get it high like altezza said, if you are only doing khanas leave the stock springs but if your rallying then change it other then that you should be sweet

Got the carby arriving in the next couple of days and ordered a manifold and soft mount kit from redline for it today :D

Carb is not jetted to suit... It's nowhere near suitable actually!!

So I'm going to put it out there to ask if anyone knows good jet sizes for a 40mm dcoe to suit a stock 4k with a decent exhaust. Or if anyone knows where I can look up specifics on the net?

I'll take it to someone to get it tuned proper, but I'd like to get it going reasonable myself so I learn a bit more about it... and so I can drive it to the tuner! :wink:

Any help is good....

Joe

just a single... couldn't justify $$$ for two at the moment.

Missed out on a couple of doubles that were bargains, so bit the bullet and bought just one. Money to spend elswhere!

I know I'll get a nice improvement from one anyway :happy:

Know anything about sizes??

Cheers

look through here- 1300cc bug-eyed Sprites with single DCOEs

http://www.teglerizer.com/dcoe/dcoepictures.htm

Bone stock

1275cc A Series

MG engine Choke 33 Aux. Venturi 3.5 Main Jet 155 Emulsion Tube F2 Air Jet 185 Pump 50 Idler Jet 45F9 Ex.Valve 50

Stock

1275cc A Series

MG engine Choke 28 Aux. Venturi 3.5 Main Jet 145 Emulsion Tube F15 Air Jet 180 Pump 50 Idler Jet 40F9 Ex.Valve 50