Amateur Electrical Question

fkj

Came to start my ke70 today for the first time in far too long, and it turned over and everything, but wouldn't start.

After a couple shots, this little f@$ker in the picture started smoking, what is it? and would it be the problem?

Ran through troubleshooting in the workshop manual and the problem isnt spark plugs or dissy so I'm a bit lost!

Any help greatly appreciated guys

post-11874-0-39953600-1314185879_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

I've been getting strong sparks from the leads, haven't checked the actual plugs themselves because I don't have anything to get them out with.

I'll go try starting it bypassed, see what happens, thought it was a resistor but wasn't sure.

Definitely getting spark, not sure about fuel and spark, calling it a night now so I'm going to try again over the weekend and see what happens, really want to get this rolla on the roads!

Last time I went to start it, it started first or second go, but it's been 4 months since that, so who knows whats going on, definitely gonna try the fuel down carby trick, will have to go fill up my jerry can

Edited by fkj

ballast resistor is normaly bypassed while cranking to give coil full voltage when

starting (compansates for the voltage drop you get while cranking )

and reduced voltage when running to spare the points.

If it started smoking while cranking somethings wrong

ballast resistor is normaly bypassed while cranking

true- it carries current while the key is on IGN, but is bypassed when the key goes to START, then carries pulsing current again when the motor is running.

Maybe you had the key on while you were checking stuff and the points were closed, so it sat there carrying a full current all the time..

You could always check its resistance with a multimeter, Gregorys doesn't have a value for it but I'll check mine if you post your reading up.

Where about in Adelaide are you? If you're close I might be able to pop by and have a look.

Even with a ballast resistor being faulty the car should still start but will stall very shortly after.

Another thing could be timing is off if you have played around with the distributor.

Would test the reading on the resistor, but lent my multimeter to a mate, and havent seen it since :bash:

Twinky, I'm in cumberland park, me and a mate will be giving it another looking at tomorrow night, so if you can pop by, let me know and i'll pm you my address

and yeah, i reckon I might just get some start ya bastard instead, keeps the guesswork out of it :dance: