August 24, 201115 yr comment_548940 Came to start my ke70 today for the first time in far too long, and it turned over and everything, but wouldn't start. After a couple shots, this little f@$ker in the picture started smoking, what is it? and would it be the problem? Ran through troubleshooting in the workshop manual and the problem isnt spark plugs or dissy so I'm a bit lost! Any help greatly appreciated guys Report
August 24, 201115 yr comment_548942 its a ballast resistor. it lowers the voltage to the coil for better starting and to stop cooking points. you getting spark? is the coil getting hot? bypass/unplug the resistor. it should still start Report
August 24, 201115 yr Author comment_548944 I've been getting strong sparks from the leads, haven't checked the actual plugs themselves because I don't have anything to get them out with. I'll go try starting it bypassed, see what happens, thought it was a resistor but wasn't sure. Report
August 24, 201115 yr comment_548950 getting fuel? air? spark? how did it stop running? check your fuel cut off solenoid on the carby (little green plug) or poor some fuel down the carby and see if she kicks Report
August 24, 201115 yr Author comment_548982 Definitely getting spark, not sure about fuel and spark, calling it a night now so I'm going to try again over the weekend and see what happens, really want to get this rolla on the roads! Last time I went to start it, it started first or second go, but it's been 4 months since that, so who knows whats going on, definitely gonna try the fuel down carby trick, will have to go fill up my jerry can Edited August 24, 201115 yr by fkj Report
August 24, 201115 yr comment_548989 SMALL amount of fuel down the carb..!! Like a thimble-full. Remember liquid fuel is not compressible and if you get a slosh of fuel into a cylinder it will do big damage.. bend a rod, blow the head gasket, break a piston... Aerosol can of engine start stuff is safer. Report
August 24, 201115 yr comment_549016 ballast resistor is normaly bypassed while cranking to give coil full voltage when starting (compansates for the voltage drop you get while cranking ) and reduced voltage when running to spare the points. If it started smoking while cranking somethings wrong Report
August 24, 201115 yr comment_549031 ballast resistor is normaly bypassed while cranking true- it carries current while the key is on IGN, but is bypassed when the key goes to START, then carries pulsing current again when the motor is running. Maybe you had the key on while you were checking stuff and the points were closed, so it sat there carrying a full current all the time.. You could always check its resistance with a multimeter, Gregorys doesn't have a value for it but I'll check mine if you post your reading up. Report
August 24, 201115 yr comment_549037 Where about in Adelaide are you? If you're close I might be able to pop by and have a look. Even with a ballast resistor being faulty the car should still start but will stall very shortly after. Another thing could be timing is off if you have played around with the distributor. Report
August 25, 201115 yr Author comment_549122 Would test the reading on the resistor, but lent my multimeter to a mate, and havent seen it since :bash: Twinky, I'm in cumberland park, me and a mate will be giving it another looking at tomorrow night, so if you can pop by, let me know and i'll pm you my address and yeah, i reckon I might just get some start ya bastard instead, keeps the guesswork out of it :dance: Report
August 25, 201115 yr comment_549262 Sorry mate, Cumberland Park is a bit of a drive for me. My 2c, get a timing light. Cheap as chips and very useful. Report
August 29, 201115 yr Author comment_549991 Got it running now ;) Running beautifully too I might say! Rust repairs in full swing now Report
August 30, 201115 yr Author comment_550028 Replaced the resistor, cleaned lots of connections, and a little bit of start ya bastard Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now