A Rather Different Approach To Parking Issues?

demuire

Members dont see this ad

yet another band aid solution to a problem thats only going to get worse

i like the idea of a more flexible public transport system but they need to design alternate routes for traffic that doesnt need to go through the city. Lets face it, people today are lazy...the only way you'll get people to give up their cars is if petrol dries up overnight

its seems to be a pretty standard type of solution from politicians these days...only interested in looking good during their stint & to hell with a long term lonvision. If a problem arises sell it or tax it :P

that said i aviod the cbd like a plauge so I'm not fussed if they do impose a tax...but they sure as hell better put it back into roads & transport and not their already oversized pockets

/rant

Probably because:

a) There aren't really many places in the CBD left to build large scale parking spots.

b) That would require money, and the people up there don't want to spend money, they want to make money.

c) Giving free parking spots will probably encourage more people to drive into the city, since they don't need to worry about parking

I believe Singapore already has something similar with the old car thing, that's why you don't find many old cars in Singapore, it's economically more viable to keep buying newer cars than to keep old cars. I also think Japan has a similar thing?

I like the bicycle idea. I think they should also encourage more motorcycles, as motorcycles don't cause as much traffic jams, and it's easier to cater for more motorcycle parking than it is for more car parking.

I also think they should expand and improve on Park & Ride, which is already around but on a fairly small scale. Have more, and more secure, Park & Ride stations for both buses as well as trains.

And instead of increasing tax etc on parking in the city, how about reducing costs of public transport? That will encourage yet more people to use public transport. At the moment, it is cheaper for me to ride my motorcycle to work, than it is to buy a bulk train ticket (3 monthly). In fact, it costs me less than half than it is to buy a daily ticket. It costs me marginally more to drive my car in to work by myself. Car pool with 1 other person, and voila, it's cheaper for me to drive in.

Apart from the inconvenience and hassle of having to sit in traffic and concentrate for the entire duration of travelling, why wouldn't I just drive or ride in every day?