Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Do You Take Strut Tops Off

Featured Replies

Hi guys can someone please help me. I have had a bit of a look around the site but can't find what I need. Can someone please tell me how do I take the strut tops off my KE70 front struts. I have tried unbolting it when on the car and off the car. All that happens is it spins. So I figure either their not meant to come off or I'm a little dim. Please help.

Rattle gun is best, but if not, try wrapping a strip of rag around the strut shaft several times then anchor it with a screwdriver.

 

If you don't want that shock just grab it with a plumber's wrench.

 

The strut top is meant to have a flat in the shaft hole that should stop it turning. Is your one ripped out?

I'm going through the same dilemma at the moment, it's not yet solved :) Not all makes actually have the flat in my experience.

Get some multigrips, vice jaws basically anything you can tighten over the shaft.

Get some rubber strip and place between the jaws and the strut. That way you have plentiful grip

and no damage done to the shock.

I used a rattle gun with a piece of bike tyres wrapped around the shaft. You can grab it nice and firm, the friction with the rubber is high and it prevents damage.

 

Check 3rd photo here.

 

rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Lowering_KE1x_Front_using_KE2x_parts

Angle grinder.....MWAHAHAHAA.

 

No seriously, if you`ve got enough of the threaded bit at the top visible, use an angle grinder to carefilly cut a couple of flats and then use a shifting spanner to hold it while yo take the top nut off. Sounds rough but it does work. Cheers.

i did mine the other day with a ratchet and my hand holding the shaft while it was out of the car! are they usually really that difficult?

are they usually really that difficult?

 

I'm afraid so, yours were described as "loose". Most mechanics/fitters seem to think "as tight as possible" is the correct torque.

 

We have a little 6"x6" rubber grip-net in the kitchen for jar lids. Brilliant for this sort of problem.

lol ill keep that in mind when i try to do the other ones then!

Yeah, I'm not getting anywhere with the vice grips and bike tyre. Damn it! :/ This is turning into a saga. The top perches do seem to have holes for some sort of over sized pin wrench and there does appear to be flats, might try that next.

If you don't have access to a rattle gun try this: rubber around shaft, strong multi-grips around rubber, pipe on each handle of multi-grips, squeeze gently together as you'll have lots of pressure on them with the added handle length. get your socket and put another pipe on the end of that and bam! loosen those bolts up with your pinky.

You know what? I would have thought of that eventually! But you've probably saved me a week ;)

 

Thanks for the tip!!

No dice with the pipes, damnit! I suspect my multigrips are a little too cheap and spindly. I also suspect the bolts were put on with a rattle gun! :P

WD40/inox the bolts and longer poles and more force!!!! that's about it for my advice, other than that you'll have to source a rattle gun.

Cheers, Crowie.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.