3T-C Mikuni Solex Twins Major Internal Issues

t18drifts

if you got the head off, pour some kero down the intake ports and see if its wet around the valves = leaking valves

it sounds like you don't have much mechanical experience, best to leave it to the professionals. theres only so much we can do thru the net..

diagnose the problem before going out and replacing shit! swap the carby's over this will eliminate the carby problem, nah cbf, someone help major internal issues :(

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah ill be able to pull the head of id beable to do it i have done/help/watched/contributed i am ceretain i would beable to pull it of but i couldnt re install one don't know what to do there but i have help there if i need it just got to ask

anyway the mechanics at work said i should do another compression test but put a little bit of oil in the 3/4 and see if the compression comes up if that happens it the rings kinda sounds right.

but they say i should do that before i rip the head of.

and sorry about the lazyness had a crap week at work boss on my back screaming his tits of at me for removing 2 little stickers on a hiab witch wernt the right ones (yeah i made a mistake i appolagised)

but him saying shit like ill cancell your apprentish you yousles c**t i should right everything down on paper this is f@$king redicules >| oh that stuff realy makes me smile you should see what happens when i actualy f@$k up big time (don't want it to happen at all ).

anywho I'm not going to take the head of yet becuse i don't realy have the tools at home and i doubt work will help

anyway anything i should look at when i pull the head of besides for valve any tell tale signs of bad stuff if you guys could

cheers matt.

haha yeah we do but he is very old school like to clean a carby rearnge the leads on the plugs to it back fires thru the intake.

and the over old timer we have says that puting rice down the intake (bucuse its soft it bounces around the cylinder cleaning carbon and shit and the valves close on them and it cleans them aswell and yarda yarda yarda yarda, and that all got :happy:

besides the wet test

also with the one carb thats running lean couldnt i just get a wicked array of different jet set and send her of to the dyno

First- Re-do the compression test and listen with a hose (I use brake bleeding hose) for compression leaking back past the inlet valves.

Second- Remove the carbs... Do they have the same jets? Do the throttles open up the same? I'd be amazed if the answer to either of those was 'no'. Swap them over, run it and see if there is any difference with the sounds of the throats and the 'pulling the lead off' test.

Then you will know if you have a carb problem or not. You might hear the different sounds of 3&4 compared to 1 & 2.

Check the oil cap for water condensation & the rad for any oil slick, just in case the head gasket is leaking there. Then the best test is a leakdown one where you hook a compressor up with a spark plug theread & a pressure gauge, put the cylinder at 120psi & watch it lose pressure. Someone could do that for you at a garage.

Then you'll know if its the head gasket between 3 & 4 or not. If the gasket seems OK, try the wet compression test for rings. I don't think you would lose two cylinders worth of rings only, I reckon head gasket is most likely, maybe burnt valves.

Then take the head off if needed, take lots of photos and write down what you do. Make sure it is on top dead center on number one cyl before you start! If you can take it apart you can put it back together, its not hard.

ok been farting with my carbs hust now seing why 3/4 have f@$k all fuel fiddled with this and that had the car just run on 3/4 with a bit a back fire from the intake here and there and a slight smell of fuel from the rocker cover and a wee bit of white smoke puffing from it on start up mean anything

On the combustion stroke of the engine, rapidly expanding gasses can pass the piston rings and enter the bottom end (we call this blow-by). This blow-by increase the crank case pressure, so we use the PCV set up to equalize and circulate air pressure in the bottom end.

Over fuelling. The unburnt fuel flows passed rings and into the sump. This thins out the oil. It also increases sump level and the crankcase pressure dramtically, resulting in the gases being forced out of the top end/rocker cover vent. White smoke that smells like fuel.

I bet if you take your exaust manifold off you'll find this in your exaust ports.

post-8643-0-44389900-1315911606_thumb.jpg

Edited by GJM85

ok been farting with my carbs hust now seing why 3/4 have f@$k all fuel

swap the carbs & see. If the problem moves to 1 & 2 then strip that carb. There is probably a line blockage or incorrect float level or blocked jet.

fiddled with this and that had the car just run on 3/4 with a bit a back fire from the intake here and there and a slight smell of fuel from the rocker cover and a wee bit of white smoke puffing from it on start up mean anything

I reckon that's internal stuff. Rings as GJM said, although the backfire is usually valves. If its not a carb then it is strip time I'm afraid.

Edited by altezzaclub