3T-C Mikuni Solex Twins Major Internal Issues

t18drifts

hay guys just slamed my twin side drafts on friday.

its running super duper rich as its jetted for a 2tg my step dad reckons that i should get a real good igntion system to burn all the fuel plus extractors

whats your opinion for better ignitions systems ect

:wink: cheers matt.

p.s can you put a t series twin cam head on a pushrod t series block any possibility with that

Edited by t18drifts

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No matter how much spark you give it, if there is insufficient oxygen to complete the combustion you will have unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust. No witchcraft going on here, just simple chemistry.

Likewise with extractors, you're still going to have the same/similar ratio of fuel/air just perhaps more of it.

Address the issue directly ;)

There are all soughts of possible issues with the twin solex setup you will run into.

You need equal fuel distribution and pressure. Ditch the inline fuel delivery and make up a T section delivery.

Get a fuel prssure regulator. They run around 3 psi.

Not a great deal of people know anything about sidedraft solex carbs.

Parts/jet kits are harder to source than dellorto parts.

Bits get loose over time (venturies).

You should run tube headers with or without the twin carbs.

At the end of the day don't do what I did and try and make it work yourself. As stated 'witchcraft' no worky worky. Bolt them on and get it to the tune shop... I gave up on my Type T solex setup because I realise now that I went completely the wrong way about it.

Edited by GJM85

aww yeah true my major issue at the moment is my throttle is getting stuck/sticky wierd witch craft no worky worky

accelerate and it slowly come bak down to about 2grand

start it up after manual pushing the throttle on the carbs down itl will idle niclely at 1grand then slowley rises to 2 grand on its own :hmm:

The solex carbs are alright but like said above harder to find parts for and not the best carb available, I had them on my car jetted for a slightly bored and worked 2TG and they where OK on my 3T just gave them a tune by ear with a piece of hose and it ran alright but kept getting an air leak because of the manifold I had on there so just f@$ked them off and put a simple single 38/38 weber on.

If they're not closing properly make sure everything is completely flat. If you have twin carbs then the spindles should be near to exactly in line and not binding. If they aren't then they might not shut properly. To do this make sure everything makes lines up properly. Both the bottom and top faces should be parallel to the manifold and in line vertically. Weird slow rev down might also be an air leak or mixtures.

If you have had the float chambers apart, just check to make sure you have the choke disc's lined up properly before you put the tops back on.

Common problem is that that get lined up wrong and the chokes are on all the time.

interesting hmm

would that cause the butterfly shafts/throttle peice on the carb to grab and be a a little stiff ................................................

ok just tried somthing and it seem the wd40 lossend the her up a bit and isnt as bad but i noticed somthing else i didnt notice before ( i have no idea why i didnt )

but I'm only running on cyclinder 1 and 2 proberly why i am running rich we swapped leads over with the ones on 1 and 2 they still worked with 3 and 4s leads getting a pretty weak spark out of the plugs from 3 and 4 4 is not even firing same with 3 ocasionaly one of the 2 will start up :hmm:

If they're not closing properly make sure everything is completely flat. If you have twin carbs then the spindles should be near to exactly in line and not binding. If they aren't then they might not shut properly. To do this make sure everything makes lines up properly. Both the bottom and top faces should be parallel to the manifold and in line vertically. Weird slow rev down might also be an air leak or mixtures.

yeah one carb is higher then the over well the poll that runs threw on each carb were the throttle and butterflys are attatched are at noticible distence verticly from each over :hmm: