Engine To Suit...

Whatsausername?

Can't get just the 3rd gear made up unfortunately. The lay shaft is all one piece so the minimum is 1st-3rd unless someone uber tricky can make the tooth profile match the lay gear.

I like the look of that finishing. Could be just the trick.

Damn. Sucks about the lay shaft design.

Yeah that finishing is trick. A mate has a mini sports sedan with a twin cam a series and he had all his gearbox done as well as crank and rods.

Stu.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blinks: Soo.......What I am TRYING to say is, There is a stock R31 skyline sitting behind my workshed, I am waiting on a reply to see if I can steal some parts, ie. Gearbox and the diff.....My question is would an SR20DET with the R31 Gearbox (With or without SR20's bellhousing?) with the R31 diff work in my ke70? *Without fabricating and f@$king around of gearbox's delicates*....

I just want a small slider to have fun with, I don't want to be wrapping it round a pole first drive!

Not aiming for max horse power, Stock with slight mods for now...... :yes:

From what caibs posted earlier, possibly if you swap an SR front case onto it. If you have to pay good money for it ($300+) just buy an SR box.

Let me make this VERY clear though. THERE WILL BE FABRICATING! None of this stuff bolts in, at all. Engine mounts, gearbox cross member, diff mounts (and possibly shortening), tailshaft at an absolute minimum.

Sorry for half hijacking your thread :P

i don't think an r33 box would suck 50 hp mate. sure its bigger and physically heavier, but its not exactly like you're going from a t-series to a 9 inch. the gears and synchro's themselves don't make up the extra 30 odd kg that the box weighs.

Yea, an over exaggeration but I think the point he was making to me though is that I would need to be able to make significantly more power to make it worth while. At the moment I might be able to stretch the motor to 350hp long term but I'd need to be looking at 400hp+ to make it really worth my while.

They are chunky ass gears though

r33gtsbox1.jpg

Sounds like fun trying to make the standard gearbox last as long as possible. Might take a leaf out of Holingers book and look at spraying cooled oil onto the gears.

You can shorten the R31 diff, and generally they have 4.11 gears in them,

A stock SR once in will get you about 200hp atw and will hold together, with an exedy drift/drag clutch and sidestepping will hold together fine, i don't know why you are going in search of a different box

I feed alot into mine at times and never misses a beat, and has alot of power and no weight over the back, not drift of course the wheel base is far too short IMO and not my thing, haha

if you set the car up properly you will not have any issues

Thankyou Carlos, Best answer I have had yet! :happy:

And I am located in Ipswich *40minute drive from Brisbane*

And the reason I was going to get a different box is because i've read that the SR box sits further back and the gearstick will interfear with my drift enhancing device (Park Brake)??? :hmm:

AND also that the SR box will be a bit tight, and I will most likely have to beat up my gearbox tunnel, True?

But if it's simple and isn't too much hassle than by all means I will stick witht he SR box! :P

If you get a half cut you don't really know know the history of the engine and box, i mean it might hold together or might let go its really hard to say, but stock in a KE70 for driting and stripped interior and setup properly i would not envision you have issues,

It will be trial and error, don't quote me as I'm not up to speed in terms of drifting knowledge

My 30 was an auto in its previous guise, so is larger yes and did not need the tunnel massaged, depends how you sit the motor in, i envision should clear the tunnel, others have had to give it a tap here and there,

and yes the shifter does sit very close to the handbrake, you can shorten the handbrake itself or even buy a kit, mine is slightly angled yes, and when up i cannot get into reverse at the same time

http://www.my105.com/listingdetails.aspx?id=5481&latest=1

Well i'll deffinatly keep an eye out for faults etc etc, And even if the box does rub i'll just take the box out and give the ye' ole sledge hammer a swingin'!

And i've been reading other threads about these SR's going into KE70's and they're going on about engineering certificates, wtf is that about? *Sorry if it's an obvious/blunt question* But don't ya just wack the engine in, Chuck a few bolts here and there, tune it up and hit the go fast pedel??? :hmm: :P

To drive the car legally on the road you will need a mod plate in QLD and comes with an engineer certificate,

You will be throwing alot of money at the car to get it on the road, and more to maintain it,

Make sure you talk with an engineer about going about the conversion,

I have 6 ADR codes on my mod plate, and you do not want to know how much it cost, and that was 5 years ago

i don't want to hijack and burst your bubble for doing this swap, cause i have seen this exact conversion done.

However I have debated this kind of thing with several people and I too have to agree that it would be similar to go with the 4AGE option as its been done, documented over and over and over by numerous people.

But use that to your advtange, as the 4AGE as we all know is a very capable little motor and for what it will cost to do all these custom bits and pieces, why not just spend the extra coin in a 4AGE and get it turbo or SC or work an NA motor and youll still get surprising results, espcially in a car that light! 200HP at the wheels is plenty, esp if you have it setup for drifting.