Diffs

muller

Got a few question with regards to diffs in my ke20 and ke25 cars.

1. Are the diffs interchangable with eachother? or are they different sizes??

2. I know a ke30 diff will fit and be stronger as well as having larger brake drums, but how much ill increase my track width?? as i don't want to put flairs onto the guards.

3. i also know that a TA22 Celica diff fits well into a 20/25 but track is much overhanging the guards but how hard are they to fit into the car??

4. i also have a full running TA22 at my disposal and was wondering how hard it would be to fit the engine/box/tailshaft/diff completely??

thanks in advance, muller

Members dont see this ad
Got a few question with regards to diffs in my ke20 and ke25 cars.

1. Are the diffs interchangable with eachother? or are they different sizes??

2. I know a ke30 diff will fit and be stronger as well as having larger brake drums, but how much ill increase my track width?? as i don't want to put flairs onto the guards.

3. i also know that a TA22 Celica diff fits well into a 20/25 but track is much overhanging the guards but how hard are they to fit into the car??

4. i also have a full running TA22 at my disposal and was wondering how hard it would be to fit the engine/box/tailshaft/diff completely??

thanks in advance, muller

Hmmmm, one I can answer.

1: Maybe. 20 series came out with two different diffs in them. If it is original, the 25 will have a Jap style front loading diff, whereas the 20 may have either a Jap, or a Borg Warner diff. A Borg has a plate on the back of the housing. Quick tip, if you look under the back of the car, and the housings look the same, they'll be interchangable.

2: Incorrect. KE30 diffs are not stronger, as they are the same as KE20 diffs. You can put the brakes on you car (Irokin did it to his) but you also change the stud pattern and your current wheels wont fit.

3: Yes it will fit, however you will need very small offset wheels if you don't shorten the diff. Celica stud pattern is also different to KE20, so once again, wheels won't fit. Lipping guards is a must. Axles aren't a whole lot stronger, but the diffs are good.

4: depends on how handy you are. Will it fit? Yes. Will it all bolt in? No.

thanks guys, i know all about the dif wheels and the stud patterns and all that. i heard that a celica diff was basically bullitproof and i know the boxes in them will take alot. and hey, its a 1600cc.

what would you recommend as a strong dif that will bolt in and wont break. i will be welding it up too.

KE30 brakes may be bigger than KE20 ones, but KE55 are bigger drums than KE30, so if you are going to bother...use them.

Galant diffs are supposed to bolt straight in, and are stronger than corolla.

Another rumour I have heard if that corona station wagon diffs bolt in without too much messing about, and they are alot stronger.

• 5 weeks later...

if you weld it up and do a good job on the weld. i couldn t imagine you killing it very quick. We locked up a noisy $50 wrerckers diff from for a ke70 as they kept smashing the plantery gears and when removed some months later it was still working fine, splines were just starting to twist abit but this was with 212rwhp and 4500rpm clutch dumps! weld her up and see how she goes.