Redmond The 74' Leyland Mini

JimL

Hey guys, Thought i would chuck up on thread for my new ride.

Had my heart set on a KE20 for ages but this popped up and i couldn't resist.

Its a 74' Leyland Mini S with the standard 998cc 4spd. manual. Mostly original besides 1.5" Carby, 1100 radiator, extractors and a hotdog muffler. Its also had a respray. Very small amount of surface rust on the floor pan, otherwise rust free.

When i picked it up it was riding on the bump stops and was horrible to drive, I've since had the hydrostatic suspension pumped up so its riding and handling like a dream.

I'm Making up a new dash card to stick some extra gauges on and a head unit (Using an Ipod dock atm :P)

Haven't had a chance get some nice pictures yet but hopefully I'll get that and some nice video up soon

cheers guys!

mini.jpg

DSC_8413.jpg

DSC_8417.jpg

Edited by JimL

Members dont see this ad

Thanks guys, I'm not regretting buying this, it's soooo much fun! although i still have a soft spot for 20's and would love to own one at some stage.

there is a bit to be done on her before i start adding my own personal touches. the rear drums are oversize so the handbrake isnt holding, and the front drums also need to be replaced, gearbox bearings getting noisy, steering rack is rooted, and front wheel cylinders leaking. So i wanna get most of those sorted and then i want some nice wheels, a couple of spotties and a nice head unit to go in the dash card I'm making up.

cheers guys have a good W/E

Edited by JimL

I don't know what it's like up close, but from those photos it looks immaculate!

Inside of me I have this strange soft spot for a few cars.

All earlier minis are included, alongside Mk1 VW golfs, VW beetles that have been ratted/falling apart, ugly box cressidas, and EG Civics (don't ask why I like the civic. Blame Stanceworks for that.)

Either way, your car looks great!

Hope you enjoy and love it

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers Jrad. The paint is pretty good but overall the car is FAR from being immaculate.

Went for a bit of a cruise with the old man the other day. Had a bit of trouble keeping up with him :P

DSC_8606.jpg

Edited by JimL

hmm not sure what to do with it, ive resprayed it the originally orange/red color and the motor is out at the moment in need of a rebuild.. 75xxx original k's :P

how fun are they to drive!! handle like a go cart :P

and heres a pic of her

post-7096-0-99294900-1318661798_thumb.jpg

That's nice! love the stripes and the body coloured flares. My motor is also about to come out. I wanna get a 1275 and just slowly build it up.

I love how much can be done to these, and it mostly all just bolts straight up. Makes deciding what to do quiet hard :P

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update for my little brick.

998+gearbox were a bit tired so they came out, now to be replaced with a fully rebuilt, warm 1100 and gearbox.

DSC_8689.jpg

DSC_8721.jpg

DSC_8732.jpg

A bunch of goodies also arrived today:

DSC_8970.jpg

DSC_8972.jpg

And the interior is slowly coming along

DSC_8738.jpg

Yep, the two inner cylinders share the center pipe. I had a good picture of it somewhere, but i can't find it at the moment. It was looking into the center exhaust port, and you can see it branching off to either side and you could see the valves for each of the inner cylinders. i just tried to take a picture of it myself but it didn't turn out too well. you can just see where it branches off though

DSC_8974.jpg