3K-B Carbies Seem 'Sluggish'

rollas-r-us

Hey,

I seem to be having issues with my newly installed 3k-b carbies. I have had them tuned to the best of their abilities but it seems like something is not quite right. Speaking to the tuner he says that it is possible that the distributor could do with an advancement on its placement. Could this be the issue? The engine and carbies run well in high revs but down low i get overtaken by joggers :bash:

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Members dont see this ad

Have you changed anything in the dizzy?? or is it exactly the same as it was with the old carb.

That's what happened when I fitted an electronic dizzy, the avance curve was very slow and the car was the same!

If it actually bogs down in a flatspot as you boot it then it might be leaning out momentarily, but your carb man should have noticed anything like that.

Have you changed anything in the dizzy?? or is it exactly the same as it was with the old carb.

That's what happened when I fitted an electronic dizzy, the avance curve was very slow and the car was the same!

If it actually bogs down in a flatspot as you boot it then it might be leaning out momentarily, but your carb man should have noticed anything like that.

I havent changed anything in the dizzy accept for points, but i doubt changing that would do any difference. What would you suggest.

I havent noticed anything that could be a 'flatspot' it just bogs down at low revs until they pick up.

You sure you have the dwell & timing advance set correctly. Too closed or too retarded makes it pretty flat. These motors run fine with 10 or 12deg advance.

The sluggish carbs could be rich or lean low down.

How is the idle?? The idle jets actually run the motor up to a couple of thousand revs before they hand over to the main jet system. An air leak would make it lean and starve it of power low down.

The trouble is, any carb problem I think of I'd expect your carb man to have checked. Go check the gap with a dwell meter (much better than feeler gauges) and give it 12deg.

Hold it! What is the vac advance arrangement on the new carbs?? Have you got both carb ports on a T-piece to the dizzy?? Can you see its effect with a timing light if you take the hose off the vac diaphram??

You sure you have the dwell & timing advance set correctly. Too closed or too retarded makes it pretty flat. These motors run fine with 10 or 12deg advance.

The sluggish carbs could be rich or lean low down.

How is the idle?? The idle jets actually run the motor up to a couple of thousand revs before they hand over to the main jet system. An air leak would make it lean and starve it of power low down.

The trouble is, any carb problem I think of I'd expect your carb man to have checked. Go check the gap with a dwell meter (much better than feeler gauges) and give it 12deg.

Hold it! What is the vac advance arrangement on the new carbs?? Have you got both carb ports on a T-piece to the dizzy?? Can you see its effect with a timing light if you take the hose off the vac diaphram??

Thanks heaps for your time and reply mate, I am taking it do my best mates old man, who is very wise in regards to carbies etc. And Ill get all the above menchioned checked... Both the carbie tuner and mates old man think that the timing is just off which would obviously cause it to run not to the best of their abilities...

Once again thanks heaps and ill keep you posted.

Cheers Tom