Liteace 5K Wont Start After Compression Test

liteace

A couple of days ago we decided to do a compression test on our LiteAce 5K as fuel consumption isnt great (about the same as my 5.0litre Holden V8), and there is a strong smell of exhaust fumes in the cab (exhaust looks okay).

We took the distributor cap and leads off first, undid each of the spark plugs in turn, and checked the compression (average of 175psi).

Upon putting the cap and leads back, the van turns over but wont start. We have put in new plugs and a rotor arm, but its still the same problem.

All the fuses look okay.

Any ideas?

(its the electronic distributor version)

Edited by liteace

Members dont see this ad

We took the distributor cap and leads off first, undid each of the spark plugs in turn, and checked the compression (average of 175psi).

(its the electronic distributor version)

Did you ground the HT lead that goes from the coil to the cap ? Can cause problems for the electronics if you don't.

Good chance the exhaust is stuffed in one or another. Stuffed exhaust gasket or stuffed exhaust pipe and thats pulling the fuel start through from the carby and causing the high fuel consumption.

Plus one on Rob's comment. Did the same thing to an 93 model civic I had. Didn't ground it properly and rooted the electrics.

I can't remember whether it turned over or whether there was just nothing, I do remember the cost of the auto-electrician to fix her though, wasn't nice. Mate with it being the electronic dizzy version I would bet a fair bit of money that this is the problem (assuming you have put everything back on the exact same way it came off).

Ah!

"Did you ground the HT lead that goes from the coil to the cap ? Can cause problems for the electronics if you don't."

don't think we did :(

Any idea what to look at if this is the case? also just tried to see if we have a spark, and its there but very weak (dark red, like an ember thats about to go out).

Ah!

"Did you ground the HT lead that goes from the coil to the cap ? Can cause problems for the electronics if you don't."

don't think we did :(

Any idea what to look at if this is the case?

Good chance it won't spark.

also just tried to see if we have a spark, and its there but very weak (dark red, like an ember thats about to go out).

Problem with the coil ?