Coilovers

KJ's Rollas

Members dont see this ad

ke30,35,36,38,50,55,70 ae71,86 all have the same bolt spacing for the steering knuckle (85mm) although the top hat bolt pattern is different on ke70's and ae71,86's, Just change over your existing top hat onto the coilovers and they will bolt straight up.

xt130 corona or ra60 celica coilovers are also a viable option although the steering knuckle needs to be changed over to accommodate the larger bolt spacing (87mm). The top hat also needs to be changed to your existing one to bolt up.

Cheers, Crowie.

Oh and another Question,

I currently have K-Mac adjustable camber tops for my standard KE55 struts.. Can I keep them and use them with the coilovers or do the coilovers have their own adjustable tops built into them?

Yes you can use them, just take the old strut tops off the coilovers and bolt your k-mac adjustable camber tops in their place. Camber tops/strut tops are never built onto coilovers they are just bolted on above the spring retainer. Most coilovers come with them because it's easier to sell as a package!

I think you should first find out if they are in fact KE70 coilovers, or the more common AE86 coilovers. Hardly anyone builds coilovers out of KE70 struts, most people will build coilovers out of AE86 struts(or buy brand new coilovers) and put them into a KE70. So the coilovers may have come out of a KE70, but there is a possibility they are not KE70 coilovers.

If they are not KE70 coilovers, in contrast to what Crowie55 said, you will need to use the steering arm to suit the strut the coilover is built on. AE86s have different steering arms to KE70s so KE70 steering arms will not fit AE86 struts, likewise with hubs and brake components, therefore you will need the hubs and brakes to suit the coilover strut. If the coilovers come complete with brakes and steering arms you would be fine to put them straight in using your KE55 camber tops.

If they are KE70 coilovers then you should be fine to do what Crowie55 and Phil86 have said.

Edited by rianwest

I think you should first find out if they are in fact KE70 coilovers, or the more common AE86 coilovers. Hardly anyone builds coilovers out of KE70 struts, most people will build coilovers out of AE86 struts(or buy brand new coilovers) and put them into a KE70. So the coilovers may have come out of a KE70, but there is a possibility they are not KE70 coilovers.

If they are not KE70 coilovers, in contrast to what Crowie55 said, you will need to use the steering arm to suit the strut the coilover is built on. AE86s have different steering arms to KE70s so KE70 steering arms will not fit AE86 struts, likewise with hubs and brake components, therefore you will need the hubs and brakes to suit the coilover strut. If the coilovers come complete with brakes and steering arms you would be fine to put them straight in using your KE55 camber tops.

If they are KE70 coilovers then you should be fine to do what Crowie55 and Phil86 have said.

Edits: (hurr durr steering arm = steering knuckle) they bolt to the steering knuckle that will be untouched if the bolt spacing is correct between the new coilover/strut and the knuckle. (which they should be as knuckle to strut bolt spacing is 85mm from ke30-ae86)

I have put 86 coilovers into a ke55(Identical to what OP wants to do) and I can tell you now we did not touch any steering arms. What you said about the brakes is correct though, if they are 86 struts you'll need to find some disks, bearings and calipers to suit.

EDIT Horrible to understand.

Edited by Crowie55

86 struts are basically ke70 struts with bigger brakes larger axle and a wider diameter strut tube. Either way the bolt spacing is correct and the steering arms and knuckles do not need to be touched in order to install. Rianwest may be confused with a popular swap that commonly coincides with coilovers into a ke70 by changing the steering arms to get better lock for fully H3c71c dr1f7s yooo?

Steering arms and steering knuckles are the same thing, just different names. Crowie I think you may have tie rod ends confused with steering arms?

As far as I know, KE30 until KE70 steering arms are interchangeable. So you shouldn't have any problems putting KE70 coilover struts into your KE55, providing you use KE55 camber plates/tops.

KE30-KE70 and AE86 steering arms are definitely different, I have tried fitting KE70 steering arms to AE86 struts and it does not work. So if the coilovers you are looking at are AE86, you will need AE86 steering arms, hubs and brakes.

The only way AE86 struts are similar to KE70 struts is that they are both of the MacPherson strut type, there are no common components between the two(other than nuts and bolts).

Edited by rianwest

Steering arms and steering knuckles are the same thing, just different names. Crowie I think you may have tie rod ends confused with steering arms?

As far as I know, KE30 until KE70 steering arms are interchangeable. So you shouldn't have any problems putting KE70 coilover struts into your KE55, providing you use KE55 camber plates/tops.

KE30-KE70 and AE86 steering arms are definitely different, I have tried fitting KE70 steering arms to AE86 struts and it does not work. So if the coilovers you are looking at are AE86, you will need AE86 steering arms, hubs and brakes.

The only way AE86 struts are similar to KE70 struts is that they are both of the MacPherson strut type, they are no common components between the two(other than nuts and bolts).

Steering arms/ steering knuckles do not need to be changed. Have 86 coilovers in my 55, standard steering components. Put pair of 86 coilovers into a mates ke70 2 months ago, same story there. maybe the steering knuckles you were trying to mate with the 86 struts were xt130's or something along those lines

ke30,35,36,38,50,55,70 ae71,86 all have the same bolt spacing for the steering knuckle (85mm) although the top hat bolt pattern is different on ke70's and ae71,86's, Just change over your existing top hat onto the coilovers and they will bolt straight up.

xt130 corona or ra60 celica coilovers are also a viable option although the steering knuckle needs to be changed over to accommodate the larger bolt spacing (87mm). The top hat also needs to be changed to your existing one to bolt up.

Cheers, Crowie.

Thought ae86 bolt spacing for the steerings arms is different to ke series? it's the same as t18 though

Edited by Jono.C