4x4 Corolla

wasfishing

Members dont see this ad

the driveline is rumored to be quite weak. i'm sure if you put a gze behind one and thrashed it, you'd be eating out diffs and shafts fairly regularly. but i think for a normal 4age and some sensible driving, you could build a nice unique little car. everyone knows wagons are pimpin :cool:

i once saw an ae95 corolla 4wd wagon up the coast, painted british racing green and just neatly lowered on a tidy set of silver mags. it just had tints and exhaust and wasn't particularly fast, but it certainly turned my head! :y:

Nick has actually posted pictures of the Tercel, but there was also the AE95 Corolla 4WD which was very similar but looked far more like the AE92 Corolla at the front. They ran a 4A-FE. Surely the drivetrain would stand up to a 4A-GZE, maybe not if you thrash it, but if you only did the occasional hard launch and drove it nicely the rest of the time, it'd go fine.

There are still 4WD Corolla's available in Japan (ZZE124 model). In fact, as far as I can tell there has been a Corolla 4WD model available ever since the AE95. You can get it in the sedan, hatch, wagon, and even people mover variants. They only seem to come with auto transmission, but you can choose between the 1ZZ-FE and 1NZ-FE for the power plant. Of course if you can use the transmission with the 1ZZ-FE, then it bolts up to the 2ZZ-GE as well. If you wanted to go that way.

Hell even the Corolla II was available in a 4WD variant (in the EL55 series anyway). Of course, as the running gear was all shared with the Starlet and there was a Starlet 4WD available, this isn't much of a surprise.

Edited by ancullen

Turns out the Tercel was actually based on the Starlet/Cynos/Paseo/Sera platform. The Tercel we got here was the AL25 model, which came with a 1.5L carb-fed motor (5A I think).

I don't really think you can easily convert your car to 4WD, not that it'd be easy for any Corolla. Your best option would be to get both an AE95 4WD wagon, and an AE92 sedan/hatch/Seca and swap the body shells on the vehicle as you will need the 4WD's floorpan to accomodate the rear diff and the driveshaft. Personally I don't think it'd be worth the effort. For the amount of money you'd have to spend you could probably buy a WRX.

And from what I can gather you'd gain about 130kg in weight due to the 4WD setup. Of course, you could always get a special import on an AE95 4WD sedan. It'd be different but it'd be a waste of money.