Can The Plane Fly?

The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels at any given time, moving in the opposite direction of rotation.

This is the key line here, if the wheels are moving at 100kph -> and the conveyer belt is moving at 100kph <- the net effect is the wheels are not moving at all.

In order to make the wheels move the plane needs foward thrust......therefore providing the plane provides enough foward thrust to develop the necessary pressures to get airbourne then it certainly will take off. The wheels however will be stationary.

Or maybe I got it so totally wrong that I should be locked up :D

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If its jets are going wouldn't they be thrusting the plane forward and therefore creating airflow over the wings, hence making the plane fly?"

No, because the belt is compensating for the thrusting forward force.

Ok, this is how I believe the jets power a plane.

As they spin up, they exhaust faster air than they put in. Creating forward thrust. When a plane lines up to take off, the wheels act as kind of like 'back up wing' they don’t have anything to do with flying at all. As the engines create more thrust the planes gets faster until the point were the air resistance against the plane is great enough for the wings to do there thing (lift off). So as soon as it does, the wheels become useless. And then they jets continue powering the plane though out the flight. Right?

Edited by Jason

The way I see it fly's because of wind resistance not because of the engine thrust, if that makes sence?

Red engine thrust, green air resistance over plane as it goes forward..

well according to the question, the belt can go as fast as the wheels at any given time. So if there going 300km/h for take off (out of my ass figure) That means the belt is going -300km/h. 0 air speed, therfore no wind resitance. The plane can still go forwar realtive to its self, but from 3rd person its still 0

Edited by Jason

well, the plane is regersting its moving 300km/h (my eg) but when you looking at it on the belt, its not moving at all.

The wheel keep it moving until there enough speed to lift itself off the ground? Insted of having wheels and a belt, just have no wheels at all and make sure it can no go forward. will it still take off? The belt does nothing except keep the plane from moving.

Edited by Jason