Ke55 Manual To Auto Conversion

Andy ke55

Gidday all. Had a bit of a look around the site, but couldn't find what I am looking for.(sure it's there somewhere). Got 2 ke55's that I was trying to sell. As I can't sell them, I'm going to pull the auto out of the crappy one and stick it into the good car that is a 4 speed manual, as my daughter won't drive a manual. Is it just a simple swap? I have a recollection that the engine and box were either a manual setup or auto setup, and it was not just a case of swapping the boxes over. If anybody could steer me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. I have done a fair bit of mechanical work as a young bloke, but not on Toyota's. Thanks, Andrew

Members dont see this ad

Not totally sure about doing Manual to Auto, but I did it the other way around on my KE30 (which are 90% same car).

It's pretty easy to do, read through any Man -> Auto threads and just do them backwards or/and just see all the bits that need changing.

You can swap all the auto running gear straight onto the different engine, and will need to swap the auto kick down bracket for the carbie.

Not totally sure about doing Manual to Auto, but I did it the other way around on my KE30 (which are 90% same car).

It's pretty easy to do, read through any Man -> Auto threads and just do them backwards or/and just see all the bits that need changing.

You can swap all the auto running gear straight onto the different engine, and will need to swap the auto kick down bracket for the carbie.

Thanks fooman. Didn't think the motors would be different with the autos and manuals, but I'd hate to pull the boxes out and find out that they were. Cheers, Andrew

No worries, glad to help. It's a good community here most of the time :D

Yeah, as said above, the auto rad has the trans cooler lines so remember to switch them!

Also you may have to cut your shifter hole to fit the auto one.

And if you're chucking the auto box onto the previously manual engine, don't forget to take the spigot bearing out.

Edited by FOOMAN

nah- you can leave the clutch pedal in for general confusion! :laff:

Auto->manual means that horrible pedal box has to be changed.

The perfornmance drop with an auto is just amazing! Ours used to crawl up hills and slowly glide around town, and the manual made such a difference.

She has enough trouble with 2 pedals in the wife's car, she wouldn't have a clue if there was 3 pedals. :) Don't really care about performance as she is a learner and will only be driving around town. when she has finished with it, I will hand it down to the next daughter. After that, If it hasn't been destroyed, I will probably ditch the massive 55hp 1.3 and slip in something a little more suitable. (any suggestions?)or just do a rebuild and bore it etc, etc. Thanks