Ke70 Project.

gtnickk

Well i have had my car (Herbie) for about 6 months. Although i havent done that much to it, i put in all my money to get the engine working fine, and body cleaned up.

Specs.

*1984 Ke70 corolla late model Version (like Medicine Mans Ride)

*4kc stock with 134000 on the clock

*3 owners in the whole life of the car and has log Books.

*15x6 inch Speedy Mag Wheels

To put On

* New Suspension (Pedders Lovell Combination)

* Twin Webbers (Have Not Made up my mind on side or down draught Yet)

* 2 inch Exhaust

* Genie extractors

* New Cam

Here is a pic More to come basically this is stock but there in interior is slightly modded.

ce0783e3ea769de02689dd37be9cc0f2.jpg

From the Front

ef3c89849294e4ff04d11af6b1e58b4f.jpg

Edited by gtnickk

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What Exhaust Setup should i buy. I like Genie extractors and have aready got a set but where should i go from there what suits ke70's. I know not to go any bigger than two inch all the way through and thats what i want to do but should i have a hotdog or cannon.

Tell us youre thoughts on what fit ke70's the best and what looks the best. :)

To 32/36 webbers wouldnt set me back $100 and carbie kits are $40, then it is just a case of the linkages and the manifold which you can get either a redline or a kb of a ke10 i belive. Where as side draughts are a lot more expensive.

Edited by gtnickk

Where as side draughts are a lot more expensive.

and very, very much worth it. if you can't afford sidedrafts, look into twin SUs. almost as good, a third of the price!

seriously, two 32/36s is going to run like shit on a 4k. one of them is too big, feeding all four cylinders. with two you'd be lucky to have any throttle response at all under 4000rpm or worse

full marks for thinking, but you need at least 2 litres to pull it off well. twin 1.25" or 1.5" SUs :)

Here is a few more Pics.

Engine pretty stock. (HKS spark plugs, New Leads, Ramflow Air Filter that i got for free of my mates datto it is a wonder it fit the asian Carb so easily. New hoses to raditor etc: Also New battery Starts first go every go.)

3e61ee7e6d6a526033bfd77686eb1dc8.jpg

Super jamie can you still buy Twin SU's and these are not are direct bolt on either are they. What will i need for the job, Adapter plate (sorry i have know experince with SU's) linkages or are these more simpler than i think ( I'm probally just making the job of fiiting them sound tuff).

yeah i know, i loved them. they lost a bit of response under 1500rpm but everything else was great. i couldn't believe how the thing picked up massively at 4000rpm and just kept going! instead of tapering off like it used to. pity i never got the chance to get them tuned properly, they leaned out big time over 7000rpm, you could feel it just hit a power wall and die, like putting a too-big air jet in a weber. i hadn't hit 8 grand for a while, i was missing it

hopefully they'll serve simon well, they're his now

Did somebody say Twin SU's? :wink:

If you decide to go down the Twin SU path, drop me a line and i'll hook you up with all the part numbers that you will need.

This is a pic that i photoshopped for SlothSNR, when he approached me for some help. It just details certain items that you will need.

In all honesty, you can do a complete Twin SU setup for well under $1000.

Check out Datnet for twin SU's. They always have them for sale on there. Most of them have come off 1600 motors, so at least they are in the ball park in regards to needle sizes.

post-336-1135952982_thumb.jpg

honestly i disagree

they're 38mm chokes at full noise, they flow 148cfm each, as opposed to the single 160cfm singlecarb i had, which hit 8500rpm fine. they also were too big at low (sub-1500) revs, which you could tell from the half second of bog when taking off from an intersection. the mini guy i was going to get to tune them told me they were almost too big, and i should have gotten inch and a quarters. i'm no tuning expert by a long shot, but i'm pretty sure i know the difference between running out of air and running out of fuel

i've also read lots of old car books which say things as fact, which we now have learnt to be not quite so. turbochargers are a fuel saving device you know, they have nothing to do with increasing engine power at all. i have books that state this as fact :wink:

Sorry about going OT.

I believe 1.5" SU's would be the perfect size. Blokes with 1600cc Datsuns run these carbies. Twin 1.75" SU's were used on cars like a Triumph 2.5L.

1.25" SU's work well on Minis (1100cc?)

Jamie - Do you know what needles you had in your SU's? From memory i have No.8's, which the 1.8L MGB's used. They work great on mine. My 5K would go to 8000rpm with no worries at all. It even went further when my throttle jammed.

Although i now have a dodgy fuel pump that can't keep up the supply. By the time i get to 5500rpm, the car noses over after its drain the fuel bowls. I suppose you get that when your pump barely puts out 1psi. Buts thats a whole other story.

if you have 2 x 148 cfm carbs it doesn't mean you have 296 cfm of airflow available. did you know that your engine only sucks on one carb at a time, and then only has 148cfm available to draw on at any instant?.

i've never heard of many mini engines much over 100 HP on twin 1 1/2" carbs. maybe you should read more into those books by David Vizard.

hey i didn't create the chart, it came from SU. they know more than you and i put together.

no idea where turbos come into the discussion. i've read lots of books too....