Brake Conversion Drums To Discs

89sedan

Members dont see this ad

Hey guys was wondering if there were kits i can use to convert my drums to discs hopefully doing an engine conversion later on and require better braking

cheers

So.... that will be a kit for your pushbike or your billycart?

Discs on the rear will not give you better braking.

..and if you do somethng to get more rear brakes you will lock up the rears and spin unless you limit them back to where they are...

We used to run larger rear slave cylinders and better rear shoes, as we wanted the rears to lock up in gravel rallying. The only reason to go disc was that they are faster to change pads on, and the giant disadvantage is the pathetic handbrake that discs have.

Front brakes do 80% of the braking, so you upgrade those until they over-ride the tyres and lock them up, then you can easily upgrade the read drums to match.

it is a simple conversion only requiring the the 3 trailing arms, hubs, calipers, flexible brake lines, rotors, and handbrake cable off of a ae9X SX hatch/seca or an RV/Ultimta secas

i have been there and done it one of my ae9x's and it is worth the effort only if you are doing an engine conversion as well :y:

and that car is still running the same master cylinder as when is had the drums brakes on the rear, but i also went with the larger front brakes as well when i did the conversion :y:

• Upvote 1

cheers guys I'm going to just buy it all brand new

good luck buying brand new calipers and hubs/rear trailing arms from toyota, better lop off and arm and and a leg, and quite possibly take a huge tub of lube as well.

best of getting these from a another car and rebuilding them.

rotors, brake pads, handbrake cables and flexible lines can be bought new though.