1Mz-Fe Into Ae95

turtle20

hey guys i have a 20v blacktop in my wagon atm...

its fun but not fun enough i want more effortless power

so i have decided on a 1mz due to its design for a east west engine ang its high ratings

just wondering if anyone has tried to put this engine into anything like this and if so waht sort of problems you have encountered

would be really interested to know if anyone has done this exact swap to see if I'm the first one as well :P

some things i have found so far are

-the engine block has to be mod to mount starter motor on other side,

-intake manifold or bonnet has to be changed to actually fit under a corolla bonnet

-if the engine actually bolts up to the 4wd bell housing

-basic wiring with al the security crap that is involved with the 1mz computer systems

any info at all will be helpful i am trial fitting the engine in the engine bay this weekend

will keep updated if anyone is interested

post-13735-0-12008700-1329399903_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

The 1mz uses an E-series gear box.

E351: 2006 - 2009 Camry (XV40)

E153: Toyota Camry V6 - Second generation (MKII) Toyota MR2 Turbo SW20 (1990–1999)

EB62: 2009–present Toyota Camry (XV40)

I would recommend trying out those boxes for fitment instead of trying to mate to a C-series cause I'm assuming its not a Tercel?

Or for ease, get a 4agze. Then you can either get a larger pulley for more boost or go turbo.

Much less hassle.

The 1mz uses an E-series gear box.

E351: 2006 - 2009 Camry (XV40)

E153: Toyota Camry V6 - Second generation (MKII) Toyota MR2 Turbo SW20 (1990–1999)

EB62: 2009–present Toyota Camry (XV40)

I would recommend trying out those boxes for fitment instead of trying to mate to a C-series cause I'm assuming its not a Tercel?

Or for ease, get a 4agze. Then you can either get a larger pulley for more boost or go turbo.

Much less hassle.

AE95 AWD gearbox is already an E-series, but different to the Camry V6 boxes (and not just because it's 4WD)...

Fibrewizard on OzCelica/Toymods is trying to do a similar swap into a GT4 Celica, which would be good info as far as engine-to-gearbox interface is concerned (GT4 Celicas run the same series 4WD gearbox as the AE95s)

Oh yes you are correct!

E50F Toyota Celica GT-Four (All-Trac) - ST165 & ST 185

E55F5 Toyota Corolla Sedan (DLX) (All-Trac) - (Toyota Corolla (E90) - AE95 Sedan)

E57F5 Toyota Corolla Wagon (All-Trac) - (Toyota Corolla (E90) - AE95 Wagon)

So it would seem that he would have the E57F5 box, whether it interchanges with the E50F box I wouldn't know.

But there is another box that the Celica uses:

E154F Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205

Allot of stuff to sort through!

• 4 months later...

Heres a photo from my Toymods thread re celica gearboxes

IMG_6271.jpg

And a road and track article about E series gearboxes. A worthwhile read

gt4.mwp.id.au/Driveline/E%20Gearbox%20Information.pdf

Edited by Kebin

so the question is.... just how do-able is this 1MZ conversion?

Ive got a mate who for some reason loves the AE95.... but wants more poke. I originally thought of doing a simple GZE conversion, but reading some threads here and on toymods has shown that there is an issue with the AE95's gearbox diff lock vacuum actuator thingy being in the same location as the supercharger.... someone tried to alleviate this by replacing the vacuum actuator with central door locking actuators - which i thought was dodgy and unreliable.

The idea of the 1MZ has me rather interested.

V6, 4wd, alloy engine.... would be sweet....... but how?

What about a 3sgte conversion?

• 2 weeks later...

3sgte would be great but i have heard about some one looking into this and the 3s is longer across the cylinders therefor major chassis modifications would have to be made...

havent looked into this project much lately..

just wondering if anyone knows which model celica gt4 gearbox has the double synchros in it??

i know it is possible to fit the 1mz to a rav 4 setup and is similar enough to make it fit

however i am highly interested in the celica gt4 box for the stength and double synchros

also w.a is shit for parts and celica gt4 boxs are easier to find and somewhat cheaper because of it

cheers guys!!

also if this works will probably be looking for a 3mzfe aurion v6 and trd supercharger :DD

There's a guy in Russia who's already done the 3SGTE into the AE95 sedan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRITdxGw4Xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ATcLhbQbc

He has a few more clips if you search around..

I think the issue of finding a new way to operat the diff-lock isn't a major one... it's just that Kebin's the only person who's got his hands dirty and at least had a go at trying something different.. with the central door locking actuators.

Someone else did a dummy up of their 4A engine with the supercharger on the exhaust side, not a complete install but at least all these guys are thinking outside the box...

Edited by JedzWagn

• 3 weeks later...

someone tried to alleviate this by replacing the vacuum actuator with central door locking actuators - which i thought was dodgy and unreliable.

Irony from the original king of dodgy workmanship?

i know it is possible to fit the 1mz to a rav 4 setup and is similar enough to make it fit

Correct, Woodsport has done it over in the UK. Build thread here:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?19011-RaV6

I think the issue of finding a new way to operat the diff-lock isn't a major one... it's just that Kebin's the only person who's got his hands dirty and at least had a go at trying something different.. with the central door locking actuators.

Someone else did a dummy up of their 4A engine with the supercharger on the exhaust side, not a complete install but at least all these guys are thinking outside the box...

Appreciate your support mate.

According to others arrogance, What would i know? LOL

Because sharing is caring and i support/encourage fellow AE95 enthusiasts -

Here is an AE92 with a running 3sgte (that ive witnessed) in it:

IMG_0278.jpg

Here is super rare pics of an AE95 wagon with an ST185 3sgte Engine/driveline conversion:

DSCN0291.jpg

DSCN0280.jpg

over the years ive been playing with cars... ive changed. Been doing the toymods things for over 10 years now.\

... and what have i don't that was dodgy? :P

THe concerns i have with the central locking actuators is that they are generally not rated for a super high cycle life, and given the likely frequency with which the factory diff lock actuator would be working, i would think that the electric motors would fail pretty regularly?

I'm the sort of person who will raise a concern, and be more than happy to hear evidence that shows I'm an idiot. IE, I'm happy to be shown I'm wrong.

If it were me, i would probably just give it a go, but cos this is for a mate, i would rather avoid doing things that arent 100%. I don't want ot be constantly fixing things for them.

Oh, and cheers for the reply :)

Edited by the witzl