How To Fix Your Abysmal Headlights

Here is the factory wiring diagram. The green dots show the low beam R/G wire has a junction at the dipswitch that goes off to the blue light. Flick to high beam and the power in the low beam wire goes through the blue light.

Now, inside the dipswitch is a stack of copper fingers with contact buttons on, attached to the wires and controlled by a plastic column with steps on it. The fingers are drilled so they only get moved by some steps. In the 'rest' position, the lights are on high and power from the stock R/Y high beam is earthed. The column does nothing.

When you pull the dipswitch back towards you it pushed the plastic column forwards and lifts the high beam finger off the earth, simultaneously pushing the low beam R/G onto the other side of that earth finger.

When you pull it back again to flash your lights, even though they are not turned on, it earths BOTH sets of lights AND connects the stock headlight relay to earth which powers the lights.

If it goes wrong, it can be fixed, although be careful of the plastic getting brittle.

One other thing I found.... there is an unused headlight connector behind the driver's headlight, and if you plug a 3rd headlight bulb into it THE BLUE LIGHT WORKS!

post-7544-0-70314200-1333356630_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-39724500-1333357047_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 months later...

I bought my set of ratchet crimpers from superhero for something like $24 or something and thirty are brilliant one squeeze and any connection is tight as a ticks ass highly recommend buying a set and while your there buy a decent set of write strippers aswell you will never look back

• 3 years later...

Just to update.. nowdays these are what we are using, and great value for money. Does the same job but much neater!

http://www.ebay.com/...SxVVEfx&vxp=mtr

So a headlight relay wiring hardness, it comes with a fuse, two relays, bulb plugs and power wiring for $20US incl shipping.

Here's a pair of them Steve & I bought for the Corollas.

post-7544-0-14082700-1459733059_thumb.jpg