Custom Gauge - Question

Teddy

Hey All.

Well, ive descided to go full out with the gauges, in my Blue ke70.

(for the piece of mine for nick and justin, i wont be doing it up there :harhar:)

Basically, (see pic first up) - I'm extending the gauge cluster to the left, and adding

"Oil temp, Oil Press, Water Temp"

Catch is, i plan to do it, in a way, which makes it look STOCK !

So, that means striping down the new gauges, and changing the backrounds, and making all the gauge markings the same, as per stock ke70 / Ae71.

Now that we have moved over that, what ive been doing is scanning in the gauge facures, editing them, making them a black and white BMP (black backround, white = clear numbers / lettering ), then printing them out, to realize the size of the facure printed out is up the creek... its wayy to big compaired to origional !

Problem

i Scan in a gauge face, on stock settings (150 DPI), edit in paint, save (not editing size), print out - and its really big. I have made sure settings in paint are not "print to size%" or what ever - its print as the size as it was scaned into.

Basically, is 150 DPI equivlant to 100% when it comes to printing out again ? - anyone get what I'm saying? - hell, when jason did his, he just scaned his on, using stock settings, edited, then printed out and stuck on - no problems :dance:

If you can be bothered to read this part, also, is reason I'm doing this (apart from wanting to) - is so i can have LED lights - when car is off - everything is BLACK. Turn car on, and leds light up everything (behind acrilic.. see new car gauge designs), and i get a cool, even, gauge display. Not sure if i want to do all lights red (like new sports evo) or white for eveything, & red for "omg" ranges = redline + / overheating.. etc

Its going to be cool when its done, ive just got to findsomeone with a band saw :)

Ted

Cool.JPG

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, if anyone is interested..

here is the progress. ALOT of work has gone into this so far !

Edit - ive put a watermark on, so that people cannot use it, as ive just been shown how much custom gauge designs go for.. for an Ae86 !

THIS way, if you want them, email me, and i can keep a record of who's using them.. as ALOT of work has gone into this, altho it does not look like it.

Ted

BTW - If you want a set, like the ones below / or the actual set below, without the watermark, email me - ill be more than happy to help ! and no, I'm NOT in it for the money !

Copy_of_Finished_b4_and_after_pic.JPG

Edited by Teddy

too late, saved them too my comp.

so you know that if i ever decide to get creative ill be using yours :)

It would be wise to ask permission first. Considering the amount of time and effort Teddy has put into this I would be deleting it, or forever bear the mark of a scab on rollaclub.

BTW these things retail for $250 so you could look at it as stealing $250 from a fellow rollaclub member.

Love Ke70 - I put this on display, So everyone can see it.

Ill keep this to a professional level, as best as possible.

After finding out, that idiots can and DO purchase gauge kits for Ae86's for $250 - it made me think twice about keeping them up on rollaclub. If it was rollaclub in the old days, it was a small group -i wouldn't of bothered with a watermark. Now days, I don't even know half the people in here now. So, Ive put those graphics on, and kept them up, so people can see, as some people here are actually genuinely interested in things like this. (I'm not saying your not interested)

Now, Don't take this to heart, I'd be more than happy to see people using these in there cars (i can say "cool, i did that!) - but if i EVER hear that you are giving them out / selling them on part of my 6 hours + work getting them to that stage, i will hunt you down !

Thats why i have now decided to get people to email me, so i can keep a track of whats happening. Hell, last time i checked, 3 Arab forms are using pictures from my Ke70 / Ke70.com as part of there work.. and avatars. Not that its a bad thing.. hell, my stuff is world wide !

Please keep these to your self for now, considering they are not even 100% finished..

Heres one for the record, and anyone who has gotten this far - i was offered a good sum of money to do a complete kit of gauges like this, for a fellow x-Toymods user for his Ke70. To say the least, i didn't accept it ($$), as I'm not in it for money, just for the genuine love of doing it; and yes, I'm more than happy to help people out, but not to get screwed in return. If it turns out, that even more people want this, as Ive started to get a few talks here and there, i may charge for the parts and what not needed to build them.. who knows.

I hope you understand :)

ok, lets back this up a step....

the ones i will use if i ever do use them are the speedo and tacho so its not like i couldnt just go and scan my own, but thats a pain in the ass when those ones are right there.

and the reason i posted that i was yoinking them is so that teddy knew, and if he had any objection he could easily ask me to delete them.

teddy: what you have said has been taken in, and i agree 100% with what you have said, you don't wanna do all the hard work for some f@$kstick (me) to come along, take them, and sell them on, and i would never do that. if i do anything with these and people ask me for some, ill just tell them to talk to you :)

i actually have a question, i see you have modified the speedo and tacho to 200 and 10,000. the speedo is still on the same scale, but the tacho is not, how is that you will make the tacho read correctly?

cheers mate, and if you do want me to delete them i will :(

lol its all good !!

Tacho - well, because blue car is getting a 4age, she rev's a lil higher :wink:

So, ive pissed off the old tacho, and behind that "stock looking" gauge face, is a new 11,000 rpm tacho :) - the hole idea is to make it all look stock ! The old tacho doesnt read past 8,000. Not good enough :(