4Age Timing, Set Me Straight!

coonaPWR

Members dont see this ad

I'm lining the crank mark up with the 0. and when thats lined up the little dots on the cams are lined up with their marks aswell. and the motors at TDC.

not sure if i understand what you mean or not? but thats what I'm doing. what has to line up with the tentioner bolt?

You need to line the crank pulley mark straight up. Nothing to do with the timing marks. If you get some string with a weight on the bottom and have it hang through the center of the crank pulley the timing mark should line up with the string at the top. There may of may not be a spike of metal there you can line it up to as well.

thanks heaps fellas it worked. the balancer had to point straight up. i didnt use any string like you said i just guessed but ya can't really go wrong.

so balancer has to be pointing straight up. (the timing marks on the timing cover don't count for shit at this stage so ignore them.)

cam marks wont line up either. (also ignore them.)

dizzy to cyl 1.

bobs your ʞ©$ɟing uncle.

thanks heaps ke70dave and B.L.Z.BUB.

also, theres still no fire at all while cranking. its only when i let go of the key it does something.

I'm with ke70dave on this one. You won't have power to the coil while cranking. We had the same issue with my mates group-c tourer last week. I'll ask him exactly how he fixed it and let you know.

• 4 years later...

How about removing sparkplug #1 or #4 and inserting a #12 copper wire then MANUALLY TURN CRANKSHAFT while observing the wire as it is lifted by the piston to just before it starts to drop down again. This way you don't need to have the car perfectly level (like with the string gravity method)