4Age Timing, Set Me Straight!

coonaPWR

i have searched and found nothing usefull anywhere, how do you get your base timing after having the dizzy out? I'm guessing rotor pointing to cyl 1 at TDC. but its not working for me (may have other issuses). just thought id make sure I'm doing it right to eliminate that problem.

also whats the go with this check plug? i have to short it out or something while i set the timing, where do i locate this plug and how many pin and what colour wires?

engine is a 4age bigport 16v out of an ae82.

cheers in advance

Members dont see this ad

From memory there's a diagnosis box near your air box some where and I think you bridge TE1 and E1 (not 100% sure will have to double check) with a paper clip start the car adjust your timing using a timing light when she's right turn her off pull bridge pin out and start car and then make sure the idle comes up when you turn air con electrical loads and what not on hope that helps

Cheers Jaesn 

the motors in a ke70 anyway so that makes it even harder. what needs to be done to get some sort of base timing so it will at least start and run? (say the dizzys out and your starting from scratch, so set it at TDC.... then what? what has to be lined up etc. cheers

my computers too slow to load that link. i lined the crank and cams up with TDC, put the rotor cap to cyl 1. and the closest it will come to running is when i have stopped cranking it over, it lumps over a few times then stops. but theres not even a fire or anything while I'm cranking, only after.

anyone know what the ʞ©$ɟ is wrong?

i have also tried 1 tooth either way on the dizzy, and spun it 180.

got a timing light?

that will tell you.

you don't NEED to do the T1-E1 thing to get it running.

from memory if you don't have the t1-e1 linked you get about 16degrees BTDC timing at idleish. connect those pins and it drops it to about 10deg BTDC.

it will run in a massive range, i think i even had it running on something like 10degress After TD....and something rediculous like 40 BTDC. it doesnt run very well......but it did run.

best bet is to keep trying to start it will spinning the dizzy slowly one side to the other. you might be very close. just need to adjust it.

but yeah get a timing light, all will be revealed.

Edited by ke70dave

yep.

put some white out on the timing mark on the crank pulley so you can see it easier.

connect timing light.

get your mate to turn over engine.

shoot timing light at crank pulley.

if you can't see the mark your way off.

if you can just see the mark way off in the distance (uber advanced or uber retarded) you know which way you need to go.

when you line up the distributer with cylinder 1 ignition lead, take note that when you insert the distributer into the head, the dizzy shaft turns about 1 tooth worth (helical gears i belive is the reason for this). so you can be 1 tooth out (which is 30 degrees..significant) without knowing. so the distributer needs to be lined up with clylinder lead 1 when the distrubuter is all the way in.

alright man cheers. ill give the light a go :) i got that annoyed last night i litterally tried every tooth lol (wasnt sure if i skipped 1 or 2 so i can't say i tried EVERY tooth.) iv been playing with it all morning and still can't get it to go.

its still lumping over just a little quicker now. and all i did was keep trying..? feels like its that loaded up with fuel its just choking out. and i welded up my exhaust mid way through and there must of been shit loads of fuel in there.

lol the welder set it alight and i ended up with a huge backfire and flame out the end about a foot away from my face, so that was sweet. lol

also, theres still no fire at all while cranking. its only when i let go of the key it does something.

cheers, todd.

ahhhh....

id be checking your wiring then.

got something connected to the "cranking" pin on the ECU?

http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pages/ECU%20Japan%20AE86%204A-GE.htm

pin3 on the 10pin plug. though i belive it should still go without that...just hard to start.

sounds like something is amiss wiring wise.