Offset On A Ke38

Hi,

This is my first post.

I've got a 1980 ke38 wagon that I'm slowly modifying to make it a more enjoyable ride. I'm not trying to build a tire shredder, just something that handles reasonably well and is comfortable to drive everyday. Am keen on doing a swap to a 7k as well. Having a bit of trouble sourcing one though (if everyone has got one, with the 5spd manual transmission, let me know!)

I'm looking for a new set of wheels to put on it and have come across a pair of SSR MK1s that I think should look pretty good on it.

I'm just wondering if there's any issues with the offset on a wheel like this with the old ke models. I know it will have a lot to do with the bolts used but I know it will increase the stress on the hubs (and/or axel?)

The wheels I'm looking at are:

Front pair - 13x8 - 19

Rear pair - 13x9 - 23

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Will

Members dont see this ad

These wheels are 14" x 8.5" -13 on the front and 14" x 9" -19 on the rear of my 1975 Toyota Corona RT104.

The first photo should give you a bit of an idea about how much they'll hang out.

The second photo gives you an idea on what to expect from the piggly wigglys. :P

But in all seriousness that's one defect after dailying it everywhere for the last year and a half. And this defect was at Albury - was too close to VIC where the piggly wigglys are very mean unlike country NSW as I have found.

My guards required severe panel beating by a panel beater - they are bashed out as far as they can go with the lip also rolled and flares added.

The front is at stock height with the lowest profile 14 inch tyres I could find 185/55. Also stretched 195/60 on the back. You must run stretched tyres to have any chance of them fitting.

Hard as hell Bilstein shocks all round finally stopped the scrubbing in the rear. I can't go any lower front or back or it will scrub. But as it currently is, after about 5 development phases it never scrubs - I enter it in motorkhanas. :)

Basically it's a lot of work to make it work but looks epic and then you know you have the best wheels. :) ... You could always go the hard yards and cut the guard out of the way ad weld it higher for more clearance but I can't weld, and I don't have thousands of dollars to pay somebody to do it.

Good luck! :P Oh and I'm running a Tarago F series diff which has added about 3cm track to each side at the back - so imagine that, but pulled in about 3cm... Haven't got a good shot with original diff sorry. :(

post-10167-0-82617500-1337749016_thumb.jpg

post-10167-0-17576400-1337749025_thumb.jpg

Edited by InSaNiTy

• 2 months later...

Thanks heaps for that gents.

I've settled on a pair of ssr mesh wheels. Arrived yesterday.

14x7.5 rear and 14x7 up front. O offset. haven't put them on yet as they need tyres.

4age on the way from newcastle as I type this. I shall be starting a build thread when the work gets underway. As my first ever modding project, it's going to be a steap learning curve. Looking forward to it.

Cheers again.

willanton