Vt Saloon Car Build, Super Six Touring Car Racing

glenpos

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

motors all good still, pulled the box out monday night as it keeps jamming in 4th, pulled it apart, swapped the shifting setup etc etc, nothing helped, so trying to get another today, i know of one for $400 in town so will do if its a good one, racing on saturday so gotta sort something out....

yesterday was interesting but still a good day, 1st race was good, got a 1.42.2, then the second race i got 2 laps because i ran out of fuel so i had to come in, 3rd race i got 2 laps again but this time my gear stick bolts fell out so only had 3rd gear, then in the last one didn't get a good lap due to traffic, which is fun but not good for lap times, then as i went over the line to start the cool down lap my radiator exploded, popped it out of it mounts too, didn't hurt anything though, lucky it was on the in lap... the track was pretty slippery and my tyres are pretty dead too haha, still got 1st place and won the championship for my class!!

oh and then when we were loading it on the trailer the ramps fell off with the car half on so that made it even more fun haha

manged to get 16th out of over 120 cars, motor definitely goes better than the old one, picked up a box thursday, seems to be a good one, had no probs with it :D

• 1 month later...

Congrats on the class win. Should see some movement on those times in the new year with the new motor.

FYI on the gearbox generally we are having trouble with braking gearboxes on these motors when tuned and pushing around 250 atw HP with the control slicks. I went through 3 wrecker gearboxes in 3 rounds before I took them all to a gearbox shop and got 2 reconditioned and strengthened with just the standard ratios, since then I have had 1 box for a full season and I'm waiting for the death rattle about now. seems as long as your mechanically sympathetic and get a good rev match on the downshifts they can last alright.

Also found some people are running the pfitsner 5th ratio as it slots on and some have also ground off the second gear and milled the phitsner second to weld it onto the standard gear cluster. It allows you to obtain the better ratios without spending the full amount on the gear set I only know as my first box I bought the car with had this done but created a week spot on the second which I found and blew up.

thanks for the info mate, yeah i'll try to be a bit more carefull of this one haha, thats interesting, will just run standard for now but something i can look into for the future i guess, could i trouble you for a pic of your jiffy tite fuel setup thing, gotta do that to and would probs be easier with a pic to go off, cheers

Ok finally getting a few more bits, also brought a new (second hand) mig welder that welds nice, so gonna fix the exhaust up a bit,

i have ordered the suspension

intake tube, and picking them up friday.

have an all alloy radiator coming next week.

brought new gauges as don't trust the old ones....

have the battery cut off switch,

gotta pull the motor, box and diff out and get them sealed,

couple of bushes in the rear need doing,

will do the LCA hole relocation on the k frame when motors out,

got plenty of stuff to do before the first round, which i don't know when it is as they haven't put dates up yet.....

I would but I don't run one only time they checked fuel and had an issue was at nationals. I do have another commodore at my shop at the moment ill check to see if he is running the fitting and if he minds me putting up photos. Also on the exhaust front here's a tip dual 2 1/4" for best low end torque. I'm currently designing a custom headder to out perform the pacemakers most people run and should be on the dyno in the next few weeks to prove it.

thanks mate, i'll probs have to do it, think the first round in vic is a national one, i'm pretty sure the national rounds in vic run with the vic series? yeah i wanna make my own set of exrtractors too, mainly coz the cost of a good set of pacemakers is pretty high, and could probs make a pretty good tuned length set.

i really need to make a good exhuast, i have a crap set of untuned $50 headers, going onto the standard Y piece, cut off before the cat then a big muffler, its got like 7 bits welded together haha.

do you use a cross over pipe so it sounds like a single? i don't like the way a v6 sounds with twin pipes, good luck with your headers mate, hope they work well

Yes definitely use a cross over pipe every Dual exhaust system I have made has one and you almost always benefit from fitting one to any dual system. Standard 1.5" primary pacemakers are the best off shelf header for VT's in our category most people run them, once I finish my headers ill do a write up and post it on my website www.macsmufflers.com I'm confident I can make a triple step header to out shine the pacemakers for not much extra cost. BTW I had an AU falcon in the shop today with one of the fuel fittings its literally just T into the fuel line with some speed flow fittings and run it to the Jiffy Fuel Sampling fitting some ware accessible in the engine bay. both the commodores I'm making systems for aren't running them apparently the fittings are not cheap a couple hundred dollars or something.

sounds good mate, thanks for that, dunno if i'll bother with the fitting, i hate spending money on crap thats not really needed, if someone says something then i'll do it, they would just tell me to get one before the next round wouldn't they, i'd still be able to run in the meeting wouldn't i?

Yea they let me run and said get it for next meeting ive run 2 nationals 2 full qld seasons and leased my car at wakefield nationals and still no fuel fitting if your not smashing lap times and looking suspicious there happy to just take your entry fee and bump up the number of cars in the field.

• 2 months later...

Completed first set of headers just went with 1 1/2" primarys with long length for low end tq. On dyno beat pacemakers upto 3k and could have gone better with more tuning. Then equalised and lost out top end by 10hp at 5k and held station out to limiter. End result great street header as is, with step to 1 3/4" like I run on my car it seems to only equal pacemaker top end and pick up a bit of low end to mid tq over pacmaker. But the cost to make the header with merge collectors mandrel bends and water jet cut flanges out ways the minimal low end gain. Just buy std 1 1/2" pacemakers. FTW.