Vt Saloon Car Build, Super Six Touring Car Racing

glenpos

Members dont see this ad

Yeah, please continue! I'm Loving this thread! I went n watched the saloon cars at Phillip island! Think I caught the saloon bug lol

G'day mate, thanks haha, i'm updating now, few things happened over the last few months set me back a bit but back on track now haha, i was at phillip island when they were on sunday, was good to watch!

Ok big update time haha.

where do i start, couple of months back i went for my medical 2 days before the cams license test, failed the urine test, although you can't see it at all they found blood and protein in my urine, the doctor decided he would check into it before he would finish the medical, so i couldn't do the license test, was not happy, so after missing 2 rounds as there is not another test till may 16th, iv'e done my medical, although they still gotta look at my kidney.... doctor said it is nothing major but gotta get it checked out haha.

So back in January i had the car pulled apart to get the motor, box and diff sealed, then i found out about the license test so i put the car back together, then failed medical, so i decided to go to the first round of sprints at winton, it was wet for the first few rounds, was good fun, struggled with the car all day, came 4th out of 15 in high performance over 2lt race cars, car was under steering all day.

when the pics turned up you could see that the slotted holes in the struts we allowing the wheel to get positive camber when cornering :bash: i didn't weld washers over holes coz i planned on relocating them when i had more time, atleast it explains what was wrong haha.

so now, i have pulled the driveline out again, got an ARP stud kit for the heads, Rollmaster adjustable timing chain kit, and Cometic mls 1mm head gaskets, its been checked by the sealer and log book checked, sealer is coming back next week to actually seal it cos he forgot his seals haha, everything is correct though so its a load off my mind. :y:

also have re-drilled LCA holes hout 18-20mm either side, and moved strut holes out and up, and welded plates on instead of washers, so will sit lower and have wider track now, also gave it more caster.

also mounted the nut crusher part of the harness..

mounted isolation switch.

fitted a new $179 ebay alloy rad, heaps thicker than standard.

Car seems to be going well, i have the license test at sandown on 16th of may, then the 17th and 18th is saloon cars, gonna be an interesting weekend, never been to sandown, should be fun though, i'm so exited, will probs come last but will be good to know where the cars at and what i need to improve in my driving.

post-15067-0-65156600-1398946105_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-69395200-1398946134_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-26139200-1398946179_thumb.jpg

used a wheel nut with one side cut on an angle, fits in the nicely, no need to weld it

post-15067-0-75346700-1398946224_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-29694200-1398946248_thumb.jpg

cars is running rich so i'll adjust the fuel map a bit, pistons have been cleaned here, they were pretty black after 2 rounds at winton.

post-15067-0-58872200-1398946332_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-47382000-1398946412_thumb.jpg

my battery decided to leak acid over everything, dunno if the battery was at fault or if alternator is overcharging or something

doesn't come off the rocker cover either, dang it haha

post-15067-0-82186800-1398946520_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

ok so time for another update, sandown was good but bad, passed my license, and car didn't miss a beat all weekend apart from going through a set of pads all round haha, But the car is a bit slow, its fine around the corners, but just too slow on the straits, i kinda knew this anyways but just had to know for sure.

i ended up getting 2.5 secs faster lap in the last race than my qualy time, and in the last race the car that started second ran off on the second lap, he came out behind me and we raced pretty hard until the end of the 10 lap race, i crossed the line infront of him, so that in itself was good, he was about 20kph faster down the straits but stuffed up a few times.

MOST IMPORTANTLY IT WAS EXTREMELY FUN HAHA :y:

so now i have brought myself a set of xr6 turbo injectors, the cars going on e85, but isn't getting dyno tuned, i'll just do it myself for now as i can't afford it...

I have entered the Aus saloon cars at winton on the 13-15 june, they have 2 x 30 lap races at winton, its going to be a massive weekend, i just hope the car goes ok, it will be on TV on speedweek :P

hopefully i wont come last, at least the top speed isn't as important at winton, there is also a compulsory pit stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Off to winton tomorrow for my first national round in the saloon cars! hopefully the car will go ok with 2x 30 lap race :P got it running on e85, not been dyno tuned, will check it after a few laps in the first session, iv'e got it set a little rich to start off with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

G'day guys, haven't updated much, nobody seems to be too interested haha, we are competing in the Super 6 touring cars (saloon cars) at Phillip island this weekend, big field with lots of very fast cars, 29 cars entered, should be a great weekend, unfortunately we can't afford the friday practice so will be straight into qual on saturday!!

Running clubsport wheels now, cars looking a bit plain with most of the stickers gone, hopefully we can fill it back up with some sponsors!

all the action from race 2 and 3 sunday will be on speedweek on sbs in a few weeks :y:

MOST IMPORTANTLY IT WAS EXTREMELY FUN HAHA

That's what its all about! If you crash it its about the cheapest car to rebuild/replace, so its ideal for learning. Love the bits in the wet!

Put the camera on the dash or even better, outside on a B pillar, and it gives a much better view of what is happening.

Post up when its on SBS if you can find out ahead.

is their many restriction to aero mods in the field you compete in?

Yeah have to run vt ss front bar and rear wing, the rest of the body has to be pretty much stock

That's what its all about! If you crash it its about the cheapest car to rebuild/replace, so its ideal for learning. Love the bits in the wet!

Put the camera on the dash or even better, outside on a B pillar, and it gives a much better view of what is happening.

Post up when its on SBS if you can find out ahead.

yeah thats it, i put a new camera in it for this round so its got a better view, yeah i like the wet!

We had a pretty good weekend at Philip island, in Q1 which was my first session, I managed 23rd out of 29 in slightly wet conditions, then in Q2 in the dry i was 28th, so we started race 1 in 28th, I had a great battle with 3 cars and finished in 26th, I started 25th in race 2, battling with the same cars again, managed to finish 20th, then in race 3 I was holding 22nd until the last lap, I was overtaken down the straight after siberia & pushed a bit too hard trying to go around the outside at lukey heights, I ended up in the grass at around 150kph and slid back onto the track at MG, got going again but dropped to 25th. We discovered that the cars near us at the rear of the field we were fighting with have around 250rwhp. Our car has 186rwhp, so pretty happy to just be able to keep up, made for a lot of good hard racing though, and on tires that have done around 160 laps i'm pretty happy with our speed in the corners..

So now we are putting it on hold until the first round next year in March, so we can try to get more power, getting sick of passing people on the corners and then just getting past back down the straits haha.

car went really well though, not a problem all weekend, just need some sponsorship now to help pay for it ;)