Vt Saloon Car Build, Super Six Touring Car Racing

glenpos

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

G'day all, sorry haven't got a chance to get the vids up, need a good amount of time to do them, stupid slow internet...

i'm taking it to phillip island in a few weeks so should be fun, same sorta thing as winton sprints, can't wait to try a bigger faster track gonna be fun :D

• 2 weeks later...

just about have everything loaded, then make our way down to phillip island, stay the night at my nans then racing tomorrow, been a pretty hectic week, car had better go well haha, think its gonna be crap weather so not gonna be fun to learn a new track haha, should get some good vids..

hey guys, Phillip island was a blast, although it was freezing and really windy, its such an awesome facility, there was allot of serious cars there, i had a few problems with the car.. but don't really care, for starters the tail shaft is out of balance and starts to wobble the car at over 200kph haha, so i couldn't hold it flat down the whole straight, there was a bloke there in a ea saloon car, he parked next to us and was really nice and helped out with a few things, he's currently 2nd in the trophy class of saloon cars (older models) they aren't much slower than the new ones, i got to follow him in session 2 and pretty much kept with him, the car was a bit understeery, was gonna put spring spacers in the rear but didn't get to, he was about 1.5 secs faster than me, he said he was getting 214kph so i wouldn't have been far off, i got 7 laps but only got 1 fast lap until half my windscreen rubber came off and was banging on the roof, so i came in and fixed that, then noticed there was an oil leak, one of the lines that goes from one end of the rack to the other had a crack in it, these had never been pulled off... but we are guessing it was from the tailshaft vibrations, after this it started raining so i wouldn't have improved my times any more, so i'm looking for a new gearbox too, mine is jumping out of 3rd, and a few times it wouldn't come out of 3rd to go to 4th and the same for 4th to 3rd, it also crunches every time i go into 3rd haha, have winton in 3 weeks, lucky all i have to do is fix the line, don't get fast enough for the tailshaft to vibrate.

post-15067-0-96959100-1376959894_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-09540300-1376959948_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-68171400-1376959994_thumb.jpg

the second lap in this was the first timed one, it was my fastest

dunno if i'l bother putting session 1 up, i didn't go very fast, just trying to learn the track

Edited by glenpos

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like your making progress how close are you to your first saloon car race? thought I would let you know I just finished another weekend out at Morgan Park Qualified 4th about .2 sec off the front runners and .5 off the leader. buggered the start in race 1 and got caught in a train and melted my power steering system and stuffed the pump and rack similar to your car back on page 10 of this post.

Currently I just run the standard P/S cooler in front of my oil cooler but now looking into a larger cooler for the power steering to avoid this happening again. will post what little footage I have when I edit it later.

OIL COOLER SETUP

POWER STEERING

hey mate, well done again mate, i'm looking at getting the full season next year in vic, still have about $4000 grand to go but its getting there, should have about $2000 to spend on it in the next week or so, try to sort out motor and box, then its just suspension and a few other lil things.

yeah its a pain with the power steering, i'm running a cooler i got off a mate probs simular size to yours, haven't had any problems with it melting yet after i did it, but haven't done any hot days lateley and no trains of cars haha, maybe a little motorbike thermo might help, dunno if it would do much but maybe when stuck behind another car it might help?

iv'e started building a new motor for it, picked one up a complete motor with all accesories from the wreckers for $110, gotta get the pistons i need and getting it balanced, might do i few other cheap bits to, just want a bit more power but don't wanna spend a fortune haha.

EDIT: having a closer look at you cooler i think its about half the size of mine, so maybe a bit bigger one will help,

yeah feel free to post up vids when you do the :y: Cheers

Edited by glenpos

Hey guys, winton was awesome on saturday, great weather, the car didn't miss a beat!! managed to drop a second off my best time in session 2, i'm now down to a 1.41.1, i got about 5 laps in the 1.41 marks and most of the others were low 1.42s, might have got faster too, but in session 3 i lined up next to a vn saloon car, and there was 4 more of them infront, managed to pass them all in 4 laps so i was happy, and the next race i lined up next to a mate in his 300rwkw r33, bet him off the line and pulled away, he said if he got infront off the line i wouldn't be able to pass him, so i let him get infront off the line, we had a fun battle, i was able to get him through the corners, but down the straight he just flew by, on lap 2 i managed to get hi back through the corners and pull enough of a gap so he couldn't get me down the straight, then i started to pull away, was great fun though, came 1st in my class, came around 10th-15th out of 76 cars so i was pretty happy, only bugger was that i left my incar camera at home on charge..... but got some good outside vids!

it was also a pain driving with one hand for 6 corners in a row as i had to hold it in 3rd hahaha

Pulled the gearbox out today, and pulled the clutch and flywheel off, standard clutch still good and flywheels still good, so will probs start on the motor later this week.

Also looked up the times and i got 7 laps in the 1.41s, 5 in the 1.42s and 3 in the 1.43s and the other 5 were standing starts, the 1.42s and 43s were battling with cars so i' happy with those times :y:

G'day, engine work is starting soon, went in to order pistons today, ordered STD size ones, $456, then got a call a few hours later saying that they no longer make the pistons and they have no STD size ones left, so am getting it bored out 40thou which is the max the rules allow and they have a few sets left, it will cost an extra $270 to get it bored out so not too bad, will give it a touch better performance, also got a price on balancing for $200, much cheaper than i was thinking haha, and getting acl race series gaskets for $50 each, they are 1.4mm thick, so after they have been squashed down they should be a bit closer to the 0.95mm min, the STD ones that are on it now are 1.6mm so probs like getting 10thou shaved off the heads.. will also do the 6mm wide and deep match porting that is allowed to the inlet manifold.. and can get it glass bead blasted, can't wait till it starts coming together!!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

G'day peoples.. picked my bottom end up last week, came up great, new pistons look nice too, just picked up the crank flywheel pistons etc etc from getting balanced, he seemed to do a nice job and took a fair bit of meat off too, so should be sweet, will start putting it together soon and get it sealed :P

thought i'd put some pics up of the block, doesn't seem to have much interest but i guess it is a commodore haha, will put some pics up of the rest of the bottom end when i'm putting it together.

post-15067-0-22907200-1381556639_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-81229200-1381556847_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-21249100-1381557142_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-18157100-1381557378_thumb.jpg

would be putting it together, but i'm to busy getting square eyes watching bathurst stuff haha