Ke55 5K Questions

camKE55

Hi all,

Very new to this.

I have a 1979 KE55 sedan in great condition, it runs the standard 4k-c(149,000km) and 4speed box. I am looking to upgrade to a 5k with a 5speed gearbox, i have a few questions regarding this conversion.

I am on my red P Plates in NSW am I restricted to conveting the engine?

Is the engine hard to convert regarding mounts, diffs, gearbox ect...?

What 5speed gearbox options do i have?

and any other tips and ideas you could give me?

I have done a bit of research so far and I'm just gathering ideas. So all help and idea's are welcomed.

accidentally posted this topic in engine conversions aswell... sorry for that! lol

Thanks heaps.

Regards Nathan

Members dont see this ad

I am on my red P Plates in NSW am I restricted to conveting the engine?

Probably yes but 5k looks the same as what your 4k did so wouldn't be obvious.

Is the engine hard to convert regarding mounts, diffs, gearbox ect...?

All a bolt in conversion if you went for a 7k however I belive the sump requires modding, but if you keep it simple with a 5k its all bolt in.

What 5speed gearbox options do i have?

Your 4 speed will bolt up and then any 5 speed for a k series engine will bolt on.

and any other tips and ideas you could give me?

Just take your time and do everything properly then maybe think about suspension upgrades.

• Upvote 1

^ Pretty much what he said.

But remember, You'll need a new tailshaft from a manual version. Also, depending on what 5 speed gearbox you buy (ke70 are most common) the shifter position is different between the different model corolla's.. If you buy a ke70 5 speed you'll need to cut the shifter hole a little futher back in your trans tunnel

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just bore your 4K out to take 5K flat-top pistons. Get your cam ground, buy some extractors and fit a Weber 32/36 or twin SUs.

Its been done successfully and there are posts on here about it, and if you read filfredericks topic about his twincam 4K you'll see he took it out to 1600cc.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/51097-4k-twin-cam/page__p__522189#entry522189

Awesome man!! yeah upgrading the 4k would eliminate the whole p plate situation and engine numbers would match up.

Do you think it would cost roughly the same price to upgrade the 4k as it would to replace it with a 5k?

cheers