June 21, 201214 yr comment_611390 Hey guys, Long time lurker, newish poster. I picked up a pretty tidy ke30 off an old lady in November last year, one owner since new. She has 83xxx's legit kms on her. My issue is - cooling. Namely: overheating. When i first purchased the car i noticed it 'struggled' to get up to operating temps properly (always sat below the line on temp guage, even in warm weather on long drives in traffic too etc) I decided this wasn't a good thing as the thermostat and others could have failed and not wanting to cause any damage to the motor from the overly cool driving, decided to change things. I installed a brand new waterpump, new hoses, thermostat and o-ring, coolant flush etc. This made it get up to operating temps fine. I noticed however now she was getting too warm, too quickly. Last week the radiator blew out on me. I replaced it and bled it all up properly. Every aspect of the cooling has been replaced, and she runs hot! I thought this wouldn't be an issue. Even now...middle of winter, within 2minutes, that needle starts climbing north of halfway and gets to 3/4 or a bit more, UNLESS i keep the car moving. I understand the fans aren't viscous, so naturally they should get a bit warmer idling in traffic and at lights etc, or on a warmer day - BUT NOT STUPIDLY LIKE THIS!!!? My only thought left is to add a thermo fan, either off a switch or via sensor in the top hose to kick in so i can prevent this. Rollaclub...please help? Thanks in advance. Rone. Report
June 21, 201214 yr comment_611447 do you still have the fan cowl on the little beast? just when at a standstill they honestly really make a difference, i guess 50% atleast. and the fact that its not overheating when moving kinda suggests everything else is working fine. i put a thermo fan on mine and a tf gemini radiator and i think it looks alot nicer without the old 5 blade, white plastic finger remover. Report
June 21, 201214 yr Author comment_611452 Yurp, still got the fan shroud mate! Today is freezing here in melbourne, and wet...sitting at the lights for a few minutes and i'm just watching that needle rise - so stressed! Report
June 21, 201214 yr Author comment_611463 Would either too much advancement or retardation on the timing cause this? Care to elaborate? I'm quite ignorant on the matter. Thanks Rone Report
June 21, 201214 yr comment_611469 Timing could be advanced too much, e.g. maybe 20+ degrees. Has the fan belt got good tension? No cracks? At operating temp the needle is normally around 1/4 on the gauge. On some KE35 gauge clusters there is a tick around the 1/4 mark. So it goes over the 3/4 mark ideling in traffic but goes down when moving? Could be either the fan belt is not tight enough to spin the water pump pulley to move the coolant around, or it can't spin the fan fast enough to cool the radiator (slipping)? Edited June 21, 201214 yr by bruce Report
June 21, 201214 yr Author comment_611495 That makes sense. Belt is in good condition, can't hear or see it slip, but i'll give it a good suss tonight. Cheers Report
June 21, 201214 yr comment_611503 Was the replacement radiator you put in reconditioned? A second hand one could be blocked full of crud and that could be why it is giving you issues when its sitting at the lights. Otherwise everything else you have done should make it better not worse. Last stop is the headgasket which would be rather annoying... Report
June 21, 201214 yr Author comment_611506 The radiator was a reco mate, yes. Though difficult to see inside of it properly it did seem to be relatively decent. This is really bothering me, I hope it's not the head gasket. I know that was already replaced some time ago, as the car came with full service history. I'll check the timing and belt, see if that makes a difference. Then I'll try adding a small thermo as well. Perhaps remove thermostat... PRAY TIME. haha. Thanks guys. Report
June 22, 201214 yr comment_611525 interesting topic Rone. My ke25 sits around mid way while driving and at idle with no fan shroud. Is the temp about right or is this over heating as well ? Cheers Steve Report
June 22, 201214 yr Author comment_611535 I wish mine did that. I need to be going constantly minimum of 60kph to keep the old girl somewhat happy. Even then, her needle is sitting either right on the indicator line or just above, when it definately should be well below, especially being winter. Report
June 22, 201214 yr comment_611548 which indicator line are you referring to Rone ? midway line or overheating line ? Report
June 22, 201214 yr Author comment_611549 the little line that's essentially just below half [or half]. looks less to me. i've ordered a new headgasket just in case which i'll get Monday. $20 brand new, not too bad. ke30's sender unit? temp switch or similar? they have one? if so, where is it located generally and could this potentially be misleading me? [though i doubt it - just curious]. Thanks Report
June 22, 201214 yr comment_611561 Are you sure your thermostat is opening Rone ? My water temp needle sits half way. Judging from what everyone is saying that the needle should be 1/4 , that means mine is also overheating. Except it doesn't rise, it just hoovers at midway.. even with no shroud and in traffic. I might look at installing a thermo fan switch and electric fan to keep the temp. at bay. Oh I forgot to mention, mines a 5k motor. Edited June 22, 201214 yr by boost Report
June 22, 201214 yr Author comment_611566 I'm thinking i'll just chuck some chemi weld in tonight just to be safe as I do believe it could be the headgasket. Will spend some time on her tomorrow trying to suss things out properly - otherwise I won't make it to Winterfest! Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now