Shocks

hello i bought shocks the other week and reliesed that someone has welded another circle mount on the first hoop, photo will explain, just wondering if this is safe to use the second one as that only fits the first one doesn't reach?post-15143-0-73957900-1341841955_thumb.png

Edited by 84Co-Rolla

Members dont see this ad

yeh i was thinking of putting sominthing to strengthen the first one, probs just chuck em out

what other shocks fit in the rear of a ke70? or could i use the stock ones or will the spring just fall out when driving?

Edited by 84Co-Rolla

No, all the shocks in that thread fit into an AE86. But there are modifications required for most of the front shock options.

However, any shock that fits the REAR of a AE86 will fit the REAR of a KE70. Commodore rear shocks are a popular choice.

yeah hard to understand exactly what you mean without a real photo.

but the reality is that the original mount "circle" is welded onto the shock tube, so in theory welding another one woudlnt be that bad.

it sounds dodgy though and one must ask why they did it.

what sort of shocks are they? if they arent anything special sell them on, and buy some brand new proper shocks.

ah i re read, if the first hoop 'doesnt fit' then the shocks are far too short anyway, sounds like they might be the sierra shocks or some other uber uber short stroke thing. in the bin with them, and get something proper length. they should fit no problems with the car off the ground. having no rebound in your shock extension is a sure fire way to bounce yourself off the road!

KYB 343113 is the short stroke commondore shock that fits good with lowered springs. cheap as in KYB excel G.

Edited by ke70dave

Do more reading! You need to have both compression & extention distances correct so you are not relying on the shock to stop the diff travel unless its meant to. Having a lack of either will destroy grip on the road in milliseconds and likely smash the foot valve.

If that second ring is welded on OK I can't see anything wrong with it, the original rings have a shitty little spotweld holding them on. Take the springs out, put the shocks on and measure the maximum travel in each direction. Then see where the shock sits in its travel when you put the springs back in.

just typed the shock number that was on the tube and it turns out to be a suzuki, duno what model though, I'm guesing that having the shock which is at full extension when just in the air and with the spring in a not so good idea?

edit: just measured the extension and compression.

extended: 37cm and compressed: 22cm,

this good or not so good

Edited by 84Co-Rolla