Splitting Tailshafts

rian

Hey RC,

I've got a few questions regarding tailshafts that hopefully someone can answer. Before I start, I would just go and check out the tailshafts to see if this is possible but they are at my dad's place in Byron and I'm in Brisbane and won't get back to Byron for a couple of weeks.

What I've got:

I have a complete KE70 auto tailshaft (auto K gearbox to Borgwarner differential)

I also have a complete T series tailshaft (T50 gearbox to T series differential, looks like it was an S series tailshaft that has been converted to T series, front half is untouched and that's the part I want)

What I want to do:

I'm trying to convert a KE70 to 4AGE, so far everything is done except for the tailshaft. I want a tailshaft that goes from a T50 gearbox to the standard KE70 auto Borgwarner differential. I don't want to buy an AE71 tailshaft if I can split the ones I have and use the T50 front half and the Borgwarner rear half.

So, do standard KE70 tailshafts split?

I know the T series tailshaft uses a flange setup in the middle that bolts the two halves together, and can be split at the flange, but the KE70 auto tailshaft does not split this way.

I have heard that the KE70 tailshafts split at the centre bearing (see video below), and if the T series tailshaft also splits at the centre bearing, is it possible to split both shafts and mate the T50 front half to the Borgwarner rear half this way?

Note: When I say split at the centre bearing I do not mean taking it apart at the uni joints, as far as I can tell the uni joints are different sizes between the two shafts, T series tailshaft looks to have nigger unis. Watch the video to see what I'm talking about.

Skip to around 10:20 as the video goes for ages:

Thanks,

Rian.

Edited by rian

Members dont see this ad

Simples ...

Take both ends and have a new tailshaft made.

They will machine off the ends for you and then weld onto new tube. They will even balance the shaft.

Acacia Ridge

http://www.driveline.com.au/contact-us

edit*

here is the measurment charts

http://www.driveline.com.au/toolbox/measurement-charts

Edited by frosty

Simples ...

Take both ends and have a new tailshaft made.

They will machine off the ends for you and then weld onto new tube. They will even balance the shaft.

Acacia Ridge

http://www.driveline.com.au/contact-us

edit*

here is the measurment charts

http://www.driveline...surement-charts

Yeah I know I can have one cut and shut from the two, but that costs more than buying an AE71 tailshaft. I just want a cheap solution, I can't see any point in spending heaps of money on a tailshaft for a shitty diff that I will probably change later on anyway. I think Driveline Services quoted me $220 to change the rear flange over the the Borgwarner type. But thanks for the input.

Yeah man you can switch them its how mine was done.

Awesome, would you happen to have any photos of it?

I might message you later on to quizz you on it.

Yeah I know I can have one cut and shut from the two, but that costs more than buying an AE71 tailshaft. I just want a cheap solution, I can't see any point in spending heaps of money on a tailshaft for a shitty diff that I will probably change later on anyway. I think Driveline Services quoted me $220 to change the rear flange over the the Borgwarner type.

i got a full custom tailshaft made up and balanced for my mitsubishi challenger for $210

^Driveline Services quoted me $600 for a custom tailshaft!!

Who made yours?

Yep, $350 - $600 is the usual rate for a shaft, the more expensive is if you have staked in uni's.

Just do as I did (AE71 to KE70) and put the AE71 yoke onto the KE70 shaft (I put the yoke and flange on).