Buying A Manual Conversion

Rollajones

Members dont see this ad

You have to be able to drive it to tell I reckon. Maybe some gearbox guru has got a way of telling from looking at it, but it is as dicey as buying a motor you can't run.

It you could play with a few & move the gearlever through the gears you will get an idea of how much slop is good or bad.

Can you buy a complete car & sell the rest? Wreck from wrecker? Non-regoe'd heap from Gumtree?

Damn...

It's been taken out due to engine conversion and is apparently good and working but people's definition of good varies to much.

Just try an talk him down as much as possible then. If its really dirty mention that, if the gear stick is really sloppy mention that (but its generally just the bushing under it make it wobbly/sloppy) but make it out to be some big thing.

Just try an talk him down as much as possible then. If its really dirty mention that, if the gear stick is really sloppy mention that (but its generally just the bushing under it make it wobbly/sloppy) but make it out to be some big thing.

Yeahh I will try but he's only asking 150!

Which also makes me think twice about it...

he's only asking 150!

Just buy it and use it... That's about what I'd expect to pay for an average one, and you can expect it to whine a bit in all gears except 4th, which is fine around town. When I finally get around to rebuilding my K50 I'll put a topic up about it.

If you're doing the conversion from auto you will need a lot more than a gearbox though...

I will add that I aquired that K50 for a slab of beers from a fine gentleman on these forums, so they can be considered 'not expensive'..

Edited by altezzaclub

Just buy it and use it... That's about what I'd expect to pay for an average one, and you can expect it to whine a bit in all gears except 4th, which is fine around town. When I finally get around to rebuilding my K50 I'll put a topic up about it.

If you're doing the conversion from auto you will need a lot more than a gearbox though...

I will add that I aquired that K50 for a slab of beers from a fine gentleman on these forums, so they can be considered 'not expensive'..

150 is for the whole conversion and I will double check on tuesday when I go to look at it that everything is there

Yeahhh, once it's a manual it's done, I can get a better box and all that after

quote Just buy it and use it... That's about what I'd expect to pay for an average one,

in all honesty youll never know, check for shaft play, free spin in both input and output shafts. all you can hope is that the person selling it is honest. if i have a diff or gearbox thats too noisy why keep it and sell it... if only people would think the same way as me. if you trust the seller, at least you have half a hope of a good buy. a noiy box isnt an indication of a dead box. if it throws itself out of gears, doesnt shift welll etc well you know you've ʞ©$ɟed up. just bargain. its a second hand box, youve never driven it and its gonna be a ʇ~~ɔ to fit to find its ʞ©$ɟed. have fun