Hot Spark Ignition Conversion

Dust03

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see a Toyota list on their website... I suppose they fit the Bosch dizzys almost universally. So you need to buy an Ebay kit for $70odd and a coil for the same. One of the Alfa forums said they were being sold by the agents at $300!

How good is your dizzy do you reckon? A new dizzy with electronic ignition is only $130 and uses the coil you have.

KEMotorsports sell them, or used to. He's a site sponsor on here. They're new 5K units out of some industrial motor like a forkhoist I reckon, something that keeps on going so they carry new parts.

This is what I'd do. Then read the part of altezzaclub's ke70 thread where he explains how to check the advance curve.

I'd buy a new Bosch gt40 coil that does not run the ballast resistor. They aren't expensive and what are designed to run on an electronic dizzy.

I've made 100rwkw out of my supercharged 5k with a Bosch electronic dizzy and a gt40 coil. Never had an issue.

It probably is, just not in the uber flame throwing fashion that you're thinking. I've read a reasonable amount that seems to indicate these sorts of kits generally won't make a heap of difference if the rest of the system is in good order. I think the point altezza made about not having a shagged dizzy to start with is very valid.

Electronic distributors use hall effect sensors (magnetic sensors) to trigger spark. They are an inductive ignition system which provide low voltage high current spark just as the break points ones do. No CDI in there. The Hot Spark replaces breaker points with a hall effect sensor when an electronic dizzy is not available.

To me CDI is the name used for the first transistorised ignition systems back in the 1970s. Surely the stock ignitions are all capacitor discharge units, they fire the coil when the power stored in the capacitor (condensor) discharges.

The biggest change was to get a unit that let the ponts act as a low-current switch to tell the transistorised setup to fire the coil. The low current through the ponts stopped them pitting and burning from the sparking, and the transistors discharged the capacitor's high current to work the coil.

The Hall effect sensor went the next step and replaced the points as the trigger, but somehow there must still be a system of pushing either a 12V high current, or high voltage low current power surge through the coil.

So when we're talking CDI, which part of which system are they using?

That was kind of what I'm referring to. But I'll concede that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of capacitors in a lot of stock style hall effect ignitions, the transistors are simply amplifying. I was thinking more about the Bosch HEI setups which I have when referring to electronic which are supposed to have a pretty impressive output. I still can't find any info to indicate that they carry a capacitor though.