Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fresh 5K Making Bad Noises...

Featured Replies

Hey guys.

Finally got the 5k into my ke55 that i had been working on for a while (the conversion).

 

It is running, and drives- but not well and makes a crazy noise. The noise is like a fast tapping/ rattling noise coming from some where in the middle of the motor.

Could anyone suggest what the noise may be, and how sinister it may be?

 

I built the motor myself, it has:

 

-5k block with 5k rods, lifter etc (hydro)

-5k SHALLOW DISH pistons

-5k DEEP DISH head (standard)

-4k valves/ springs (standard)

-25/65 270* cam grind

-rollamaster timing chain kit

-4k ancillaries

-shimmed oil pump

 

As far as i can guess the noise may be piston rattling or something because of the huge compression. Any other ideas?

Also, the motor does not easily rev far past 4000 revs, not that i have been game to push it.

I have the deep dish pistons here but i was initially going to use a 4k head, hence going with shallow dish pistons, and want to avoid swapping them out!

Does it sound like this?

 

The bolt was too short... :P

  • Author

I'll have another listen but that sounds pretty darn close- what was happening there???!

Didnt take measuring the bore seriously and put standard pistons in an 20 thou over bore (0.5mm). From memory my bore was 81.2mm where standard was 80.5mm.

It doesnt sound like a lot but it works out as 20cc per cylinder. My 5k is actually 1566cc.

As for the reving issue your going to want to look at cam timing. I had the same cam as you and it was also a tooth out.

Edited by GJM85

  • Author

Oah ouch. I think I'll have to take the motor back out again and change the pistons then. This gives me a chance to sort the compression out and a little leak in my sump gasket as well as check the cam timing again. Did you have a good method for being sure of the timing? I took the chain off, found and marked the opposite links and lined them up with the timing marks, thinking that opposite is where the marks were meant to be?

being a regrind cam, google "how to dial a cam in", you could either do it yourself by purchaseing a dial (ebay special), or take it to an engine reconditioners. Hope that helps.

I took the donk apart. I found that the timing marks weren't perfectly aligned when I put a straight line across the cam, timing marks and crank centres.

Even if your cam does need dialing in you can still align these marks and be well off.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.