Please Help Me!..

jimbop55

hi everyone

my name is james and i have just purchased a 1979 ke55 sedan (yellow)

there is a bit of rust like bonnet, dog legs, and the top of the rear doors not a whole lot

but the reason I'm telling you this is to get your opinion as corolla lovers because my family and friends

think its shit heap. but theres a lot of potential in this car. what i really want to know is it worth restoring

for my first car or use as a burnout car or drag car?????PLEASE HELP???

Members dont see this ad

If you like the car then what does it matter what people think, really.

All old cars are going to have a bit of rust in them and the sooner you fix it up the better.

You can fix the car up, get the engine to a reliable condition and you will have yourself a cheap

runabout and then buy yourself a toy to "do up". Trust me on that part as I have been badly

screwed by having my daily as my toy.

Well, for a start don't put up a title called "Please help me" without telling us what it is about in the next line. I normally would even open such a stupid topic title but my daughter said it would be some d'head who didn't know any better, so here I am wasting my day...

How much do you know about fixing cars?? Can you weld?? can you use fibreglass?? can you spraypaint a car or sand it down and prepare it? Have you got a quote from a panelbeater yet? Is this the school holidays already??

No its not worth fixing unless you can either do some of those things or are willing to try them and learn. Paying someone to weld it will cost hundreds, and paying someone to spray it will cost thousands, so the car is an instant paddock-basher.

If I had a dollar for every time someone said my car is a waste of time I'd have about $20. If you're building it to make others happy then you're doing it wrong.

Building and restoring cars should be a passion. I started with little knowledge and can now after a few years pretty much take my KE70 apart with my eyes closed.

These cars are easy, cheap and fun to learn to work on.

Decide what YOU want to do. Rust can be fixed. Broken things can be replaced.

If you want a burnout car buy a $200 commadore.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

In short corollas are fun, cheap and easy to work on. What sort of resources do you have though?

Cars are basically time, money and effort and a plan from the start tends to see projects finished,

at about double the cost and twice the skinned knuckles but hey that's the love you gotta give!

Edited by styler