Commodore Brakes On Ae93

MA44AD

Hey

This is my first time owning a rolla. I have previously owned Commodores so I have many parts lying around..

One thing I have noticed is my AE93 doesn't pull up too well, even with new rotors and pads, So what I was thinking was, why not retrofit a set of cheap VT calipers ($40 for the pair) and rotors to suit (get DBA to make me up a set of 4x100 rotors to fit).. By the looks of it, it seems like a cheap way to get some big twin piston brakes..

Has anyone ever looked into doing similar?

Cheers

Jack

Members dont see this ad

Gday mate.

My story is the exact same as yours. Just sol my V8 and bought my AE93 a few weeks ago.

I also have the same issue where it doesnt seem to want to pull up.

Need to use some force to stop it. For such a light car this issue must mean the stock brakes are about as good as bicylce brakes.

I'm also keen to upgrade the brakes but on a budget.

If you get more information and figures on this please let me know.

I was going to go slotted discs and better pads and just give all the lines a flush with some descent brake fluid but i have a feeling it isnt going to make too much difference?

Also is your design going to fit in the standard rim or upsized rims will be needed? from memory vt brakes need a minimum 16inch rim?

Cheers.

This is my first time owning a rolla. I have previously owned Commodores so I have many parts lying around..

Well if you have the parts lying around you need to measure, measure and measure again.

You'll need to check the offset on the rotor before you even start. If the offset from hub to rotor face is close then you may have a chance to get the rotors to fit. Then you'll need to make an adapter bracket to make the caliper fit. Not saying it won't work as I haven't looked at it, but it may not be easy.

A cheap option on the ae82 front is to use the sv21 Camry caliper and 258mm GTI/SX ae-9x 258mm rotors. Not sure if the caliper is a bolt in deal on the ae-9x like it is ae-82's. hopefully someone can confirm this.

See if you can find a set of AE92SX series 2 brakes, use a decent quality pad too. I used EBC greenstuff pads in my old AE82 and braking was great.

I think that you can even just buy the rotors and use the standard pistons. You'd have to file a bit off from the face of the brake pad as the discs are thicker

than what the standard pistons can take.

See if you can find a set of AE92SX series 2 brakes, use a decent quality pad too. I used EBC greenstuff pads in my old AE82 and braking was great.

I think that you can even just buy the rotors and use the standard pistons. You'd have to file a bit off from the face of the brake pad as the discs are thicker

than what the standard pistons can take.

Not sure about MA44AD but my rolla is an SX (AE93)

Does your comment still stand?

Are the AE92 SX brakes better? If so why would they down grade them in the newer model?

Sorry my bad, I made a mistake too.

Ok here are the specs on stock brakes from smallest to largest in the corolla series, each of which is a direct bolt on and interchangeable.

AE 90, 92, 93 D.O.H.C Year models 8/89 - 6/91 Diameter = 238mm Width = 18mm

AE 82 D.O.H.C All Diameter = 243mm Width = 18mm

AE 93 D.O.H.C Year models 6/91 -10/94 (series 2) Diameter = 258 Width = 22mm

So if you have the older version of the AE93 you have the smallest discs out of the FWD corolla series.

If you have the series 2 SX then you have the largest brakes easily obtainable.

I ran the AE93 SX series 2 brakes on my Twin cam AE82. All I did was buy the new rotors (258mm x 22mm) and bought some new pads.

The AE82 calliper could accommodate the larger rotors but the thicker rotors meant that I had to file back the face of the pads a bit, that was easy.

I just hot a flat rough surface and did figure 8's on them. Of course you should make sure that the surface is clean of debris so that you do not gouge the pads.

Or even better use a linisher.

If you have the older AE93 then I would not be able to say if you could fit the larger discs easily, I would recommend finding the correct callipers or at least the AE82 DOHC callipers.

Couple that with either EBC greenstuff (more expensive, track and road) or EBC redstuff (cheaper, sports road use) pads and you will not have a problem stopping. I used this set up

on the race track and I did not experience any brake fade what so ever.

I actually had problems with the brakes locking up. But was probably just me not used to the new feel.