Ke17 Sprinter Sl

Members dont see this ad

Hi,

There seems to be a cluster of KE1X sprinters in QLD..lol

I know of another one out lowood way and now yours and mine in Ipswich region and then you say there is one at beaudesert.

And I know of about 3 in Brisbane city.

Tomorrow Ill get a pic off my car in the shed see its colour. ut possibly different colour different market....

Cheers

Cameron

Jason - that's interesting about the checks being body coloured. What colour is your car?

I still favour my theory - the blue checks were originally intended for Euro/USA market ("export" if you like) and the Japan market (which is considered same as Australia {RHD}) had the green and black checks...and over time both types ended up here in Australia...

This is of course without discussing the red chequered emblems......which appear on non-SL models. ;)

My car also had the glass with the greenish hue - don;t know if that ties-in anywhere in this saga?

Edited by Project Sprinter

Not sure about that. Unfortunately the badge is not visible in any of the brochures I have, which include Japanese, Australian and us market. Would love to see anything you found clarkworld. US market didn't get any SL's as I understand it. And also unsure if any corolla's went to Europe prior to the E20's. On my white car, all the colour has disappeared from the original badges.

Then we haven't even started discussing the boot badge, which I think was available in either a gunmetal type colour or red!

The centre grill badge is definitely the cream colour

You are right about the centre boot badge though. I had only ever looked at what I described as the gunmetal badge straight on. If you angle it, it is in fact iridescent blue also. The other colour is red. There are two part numbers for this badge, with a change made Feb 69.

post-4909-0-21796000-1357016513_thumb.jpg

post-4909-0-94899000-1357016532_thumb.jpg

Which further makes me think the turquoise colour on your SL badge is either a touch up or fading of the blue over time, otherwise it would have more than one part number. The ones I have originally came from Japan.

For completeness, I may as well mention that the grille SL badge is identical (in plastic) as the bootlid SL badge. The only difference being that the badge for the grill is mounted in a bracket.

Parrot - thanks for the pics on the grille and boot badges (fantastic). I hadn't seen the red boot badge previously, and I suspect the "white" ones I have seen actually have had the colour faded out...

The grille badge is identical to that on my car.

I too have the "SL" badge front and rear of the car - its silver with red out lines. These are really nice design, but impossible to find anybody with some brand newies...but as my wife keeps reminding me on a race car brand new is not always the optimal approach!

Back on the side badge (alongside B pillar) - the turquiose conspiracy has some momentum with two others here in QLD having the same colour... Can't pin this on having been a QLD thing though, as my car was originally sold through York Motors in Sydney.

There is also a car in Newcastle that claims to have had white checks in the emblem, and the owner as you could see here in this chat, mentioned that matched the colour of his car's body. Mt guess on that is a touch-up at some time in the car's life.

So back on turquoise; I'm wondering whether that this colour was an end of run issue - sort of an oddity that occurred but with no direct reason. My car is a 1969 model, but I haven't been able to check with the other owners here in QLD (mostly as the owner at Beaudesert is not a Rolla club member).

Edited by Project Sprinter

It may be one of those unsolvable mysteries....... Whatever, deeper blue or turquoise, they still look great. I'm pretty sure they were all Japan built, so shouldn't be any regional differences when it comes to badging I wouldn't think

• 1 month later...