Serious 4A Problems Help!

BmstKe70

hey guys,

i don't know what the shizz is going on, but when i drive the car for say around 10 to 15 minutes all will be fine! but as soon as i gets warm, ill sit at the lights for say 3 minutes, and then when i go to take off, it will either just splutter or try and stall, untill i take my foot back off the accelerator, it will return to its normal idle, and the same will happen if I'm just driving and i drop it back to 2nd and go to put my foot down, the motor will just cut out or try and splutter on me again, and its really really starting to annoy me... :( if anyone could help it would mean alot!

p.s its a 84 Ae71 spirit! cheers guys :)

Members dont see this ad

It sounds like its leaning out, so it dies when the choke is off.

Check for airleaks in the manifold, use an aerosol or oil or just a tube in your ear. Make sure all the nuts and bolts on the manifolds are up tight.

Run it warm then boot it and when it splutters turn it off immediately. Take the top off the carb and see what the fuel level is, and compare that to the level when it is turned off when idling nicely. If the level is low it could be the fuel pump is not happy, or a blockage in the line somewhere.

Then lastly strip & clean the carb. Use a syringe to push petrol through the drillings after you've unscrewed the jets and flushed them out.