Kitchen Bitches

altezzaclub

Ok, when you guys get older and reality hits, you'll end up in the kitchen..

For me that means making my own marmalade and berry jam each year, so I spend a few hours stirring a thick mixture in a pot while it reduces in volume but doesn't burn.

So this year is a good tomatoe and chilli pepper year (lousy bean and pumpkin year, but that's gardener talk...) I'm making our own tomatoe sauce and pizza sauce, and on top of that its a great year for my mate's peaches. Faced with spending more hours stirring a slighty boiling pot with a wooden scraper, I hit the workshop.

A broken microwave gave up its turntable motor, a stray bit of ply, a tomatoe stake became legs and the scraper blade, and a length of dowell became the shaft. The only trick was to pin the dowell onto the motor shaft, and make sure the blade floated on the bottom of the pan & was driven by a slot in the dowell.

A couple of hours gave thick tomatoe puree with a spotless bottom on the pan. It turns at one rev each 25seconds, so each part of the base is scraped every 12seconds. Slow, but sure! Fine Australian hardwood in your food, all untreated, no problem!

post-7544-0-63689400-1359023309_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-56562100-1359023320_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...