Motorkhana Practice Day

carbonboy

I've had a hankering to get into motorsport of some description, but had absolutely no idea where to begin. Probably not best that I cut my teeth on a 6 hour event or similar, so I took up an opportunity to take part in a practice day. This was organised via the Toyota Car Club of Australia & the Ford Four Car Club to be held at the grounds (recently cleaned up & readied for use) in Weribee.

No timing was involved, so there was not pressure & having fun/learning was the order of the day. We had drivers ranging from some 'older' gentlemen in hand-built specials (some with some very interesting engine & drive-train set-ups), to some early -teens who were learning the basics of car control in their Dads Moke. All types of vehicles too, an Hyundai Excel, a Honda CRX, an older Ford Laser, half a dozen MX5's, a new GT86 & a new BZR (yep, new cars out there in the dirt), a Mini & a new-ish WRX that was just insanely fast on the low-grip surface.

There were 3 configurations of witches hats set-up & a page of different tests to choose from, simply a matter of picking which route you were going to take & off you go. Being practice, there were no penalties if you hit a witches hat or like me, forgot which way to go next. You just correct the hats you knocked over after your run for the next person & all is good.There was also the opportunity to either go for a ride with some more experienced drivers or have them ride with you in your car & give you some feedback. I highly recommend it!

The best part, the entry fee was just $15. Yes, $15 to be able to go to a relatively safe, controlled environment & (to the extent of intelligent behaviour) literally throw your vehicle around & see what it can do. How cheap do you want to get?!? Okay, I did have acquire myself a CAMS Level 2 Speed licence, but as I had purchased a day licence less than 6 months ago, handing in that d/l with the application form gives you the cost of the d/l off of the full licence. So the 12 month L2S only cost $75 which will cover me for any event I wish to do (hillclimbs, sprints, trackdays etc), also looking at acquiring steward/scrutineers tickets through CAMS to be able to help out at events.

There's an actual competition on the 24th of February, being hosted at the same venue. Am thinking of entering simply because it's so much fun.

Anyway, enough talk, videos are still uploading but I have some photos.

post-5437-0-65586400-1359850343_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-27815700-1359850249_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-97863200-1359850294_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-69653200-1359850198_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-98057800-1359850391_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-42691000-1359850434_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR not happy not knowing this was on.................. >|

Might of tried out the Grand Carnival while the missus wasnt looking. This is the only car I haved owned that hasnt done one at least one motorkhana course.

Seriously, great to see you giving dirt a go, lots of fun and TCCAV put on a good relaxed event.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR not happy not knowing this was on.................. >|

Might of tried out the Grand Carnival while the missus wasnt looking. This is the only car I haved owned that hasnt done one at least one motorkhana course.

Seriously, great to see you giving dirt a go, lots of fun and TCCAV put on a good relaxed event.

Fear not, the communications methods are being modified as we speak. We are working on making knowledge of events etc to be made more readily available to members.

Dirt in the daily, no worries. Doing a dirt event in the project car...sorry, gonna be a princess & say no thanks! Tarmac on the other hand... ;) I had a ball, if you hit something other than a flag/witches hat you were doing something very wrong & you only forget to put your drivers window up once! :lolcry:

Edited by carbonboy

Fear not, the communications methods are being modified as we speak. We are working on making knowledge of events etc to be made more readily available to members.

Dirt in the daily, no worries. Doing a dirt event in the project car...sorry, gonna be a princess & say no thanks! Tarmac on the other hand... ;) I had a ball, if you hit something other than a flag/witches hat you were doing something very wrong & you only forget to put your drivers window up once! :lolcry:

Once its got the first stone chip you stop worrying ;) and Werribee dirt is easy to move :yes: not like the shit from the Ballarat airport........

Drivers window, been there done that - not as bad as a Porche Boxer driver who forgot to put his roof up. Filled his nice cream interior with mud.

Good to see Weeribee aint changed that much :)

Also nice to see a couple of the cars that are still around from when I was running my KE20. Need to suck up the the owner of the blue Corona (can't remember his name now) and get him to show you the coupe version that was hidden in his shed. I assume he still has it.....................

The name you're looking for is Neil. Nice guy. :)

Yep top bloke. I was giving him a hand to fix the fences/gates at the working bee. Spent half the time telling me how my ke-11 would be perfect for motorkhanas.

I would have given it a go but I'd already given it a good clean for hanging rock this Sunday.

Good to see Weeribee aint changed that much :)

If you think it hasn't changed much, you should see the before & after photos from the working bee kickn5k & I helped out at. :P But yes, she's still a grassy, dusty, slightly cracked surface with the occasional rock that thuds its way down your floorpan & scares the crap out of you. With all the housing development going on down that way, I feel I'd best enjoy the grounds while I can.

Yep top bloke. I was giving him a hand to fix the fences/gates at the working bee. Spent half the time telling me how my ke-11 would be perfect for motorkhanas.

I would have given it a go but I'd already given it a good clean for hanging rock this Sunday.

Indeed he was, all of the "more experienced" participants were great people provided you approached them with the right attitude. They'd take you for a drive if you wanted, or jump in your car & give some feedback on your driving. Should've come down Stu, it was an absolute riot! I only washed Blue Thing last night as the dust was beginning to cake & fall off. :laff:

He'd be able to tell you stories about a young 19 year old kid who used to turn up in a red KE25, too. :)

I really miss going to events like that.

I've gotta get him to tell me some of these stories.....after I get him to teach me how to drive! :lol:

Thats it, Neil. Been a while.

Just about handed out the trophy when we saw a certain red KE25 rock up...................

Note to self: Re-read names of winners of the Theo Wintels Trophy. :yes:

If people have nothing taking up the 24th of February, it's not a bad spectator sport.....

http://www.tccav.org...CC-Sup-Regs.pdf

I hadn't planned on it, but someones gotta try & take some points off Batch so he doesn't win three years in a row. :P

I didn't realise they'd named a trophy after Theo. I'm glad, he was a great guy. What's the trophy for?

Batch gets particularly annoyed when you beat him in his own car. Incidently he was one of my groomsmen at my wedding. Yes, Batch in a suit. :D