4Age Supercharger Conversion.

MrKraze

Hey everyone! I just recently bought myself an AE92 Corolla, and i am looking to make some more power, and alot more torque down low.

I know the 4agze came with a super charger and low comp pistons, 8.5:1 if i remember correctly.

my question is, has anyone ever seen a 4age to 4agze conversion? i would want to keep the pistons that are currently in my car (9.4:1)

is this even possible? or would i end up breaking something?

Members dont see this ad

Hey everyone! I just recently bought myself an AE92 Corolla, and i am looking to make some more power, and alot more torque down low.

I know the 4agze came with a super charger and low comp pistons, 8.5:1 if i remember correctly.

my question is, has anyone ever seen a 4age to 4agze conversion? i would want to keep the pistons that are currently in my car (9.4:1)

is this even possible? or would i end up breaking something?

You would be a lot better off starting with a 4AGZE, for starters you will need to move a lot of the ancillaries to the other side of the motor so you can mount the blower.

You will also need a blower, ECU, piping etc. I'd say you would find a complete motor cheaper than that..

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately in my current situation i am without a workshop to be able to do the motor swap myself. thats why i was thinking of just converting it over. Alot less time and effort as long as i can keep the same pistons. If the pistons need to come out then i may as well go to high comp pistons and build the head to match.

It would be much more sensible to just buy a GZE and loom than to try to convert.

Less time and effort too. Buy an engine hoist for $250, socket set and screwdriver set and you are ready to do a conversion.

This question has come up so often that there should be an auto detect and an auto response saying "NO".

I have done an engine swap with less than that.

Firstly, yes you would bust the engine. A GZE does not feel fast, it feels like you have a 2ltr engine instead of a 1.6ltr engine.

This brings about the want for more boost, which a stock internal NA would not like very much. Not that it would like any boost in the first palce.

The simple cost of finding an SC12 and all the little bits and pieces to convert would equate to almost the same cost as just buying a crate motor

minus the reliability. Then you bolt on a turbo instead of the supercharger and have waaaaay more fun.

Usually this question comes up because the person asking the question does not want to spend the money that reality says that it should cost.

Do some more research. Best thing that I found works is to sit on an idea for about 3 weeks. Then the hype of the idea wears off and you can

judge if it's a silly idea or not. I've had my fare share of some dumb ideas and I'm sure that many people on here have too.

Listen to the guys on here, they know everything that there is worth knowing.

Edited by Twinky
  • Upvote 2

That last sentence of Twinkys rings truer than you could ever believe Colton

not saying i'm one of those people that knows everything haha, unless it rust removal or how to do a dodgy paint job ;)

but there's alot of people on here that know what theyre doing. take their advice, best decision i ever made haha

Thanks for the the info everyone! I have alot to learn about about my ae92. I'm happy there is such a good community here that there is a strong community here I can learn from.

While we are on the topic of making more power, is there any other ways I can achieve this?

I have heard that tomei makes a good set of 264º cams. But I am worried about losing torque down low.

• 4 weeks later...

Cams can help make a 4A-GE more powerful, but at what cost..... With cams you also need a good exhaust manifold, and intake. That way you can utilise the better flow. But now that you've got all this air blasting through your engine, you'll need to match it with fuel, so now you're getting a better fuel pump, FPR, injectors, and possibly engine management to run it all. To really put cams to use; the head will need to be heavily massaged too.

4A-GEs are awesome engines, but be ready to flip out your checkbook if you want to make some extra ponies.

• 3 months later...