Ke30 Clutch Problems

hey guys, just wanting a bit of advice,

i have recently replaced my worn clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing with an excedy clutch kit in my 4k corolla. i used a tool to get it centred right and did everything by instructions in the workshop manual. the clutch cable seems to have way too much slack in it and when i push my foot on the clutch it makes a whinning noise.. can anyone give me some help on what i may have done wrong?! thanks

Members dont see this ad

Hi Charles,

Is the car drivable, or does it just sit there & whine when you let the clutch out ? There are two spline sizes for the K series clutch plates. 19 spline & 21 spline. Strangley, you can easily get the 21 spline pressure plate to go over the gearbox spigot shaft with 19 teeth, but it usually just sits there and makes a horrible whining noise when you try to drive off. The other problem that sometimes occurs is the pressure plate outer housing just touches the inside of the bell housing, making a clicking / whining noise.

Not all after market pressure plates have the same outside profile. It can be a problem if you have swapped flywheels, or say fitted a 5 speed gearbox. Let us know what you find.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

hey banjo, i havent taken the gearbox off yet, so i can't count the teeth on the shaft or clutch plate. i should have done beforehand but i didnt expect it to be different with a replacement part. i can't get the car in gear as it just makes this horrible noise when i press on the clutch pedal which makes me worried to even have it running! i guess its time to drop the gearbox again and investigate further.. thanks banjo

I had the exact problem when I replaced my clutch at the start of the year. The clutch pedal throw kept getting longer and longer and had to be constantly adjusted, and there was a light screeching noise with the clutch disengaged (pedal down). Otherwise, the car still drove fine.

What I found to be the problem was that I installed the thrust bearing the wrong way around on the carrier. I put the flat side against the clutch fingers instead of the curved side. (In my defence, the old bearing was fitted this way and drove fine with no noise or play).

The bearing clearly wasn't meant to bear any load this way as the outer and inner parts developed huge (2-3mm) of play relative to each other. This caused the outer part (the part that contacts the clutch fingers) to slide back far enough to scrape on the spring pins which hold the carrier to the fork. The bearing had worn a groove in the clips and I was lucky it didn't wear through them. That was the screeching sound.

The outer bearing part becoming more and more separated made it feel like the cable was stretching as the whole fork/carrier assembly had to move further to disengage the clutch.

Put a new thrust bearing in the correct way in and everything was sweet.

Hope this helps.

J.

Well I got around to dropping the gearbox and taking the pressure plate off.. Turns out I got the 21 spline clutch plate instead of the 19.. Does anyone want this one? It's all a learning experience I suppose but something I stupidly overlooked! Just to clarify, does anybody know what way the bearing should be facing in the carrier? I have the writing facing the rear of the car. Thanks