What To Buy?, What To Look Out For? How Much To Pay?

ctwitch

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of guidance more than anything from some of you that have been there and done it all in the Corolla scene.

I'm new to Oz and old school Japanese motors, we don't get too many back home.

I've set my sights on a Corolla from Circa 75-80 but don't know too much about what I should be looking for in terms of the usual mechanical issues and rust spots etc....any help here would be great.

I'm also interested to know what models other people prefer, for whatever reason, handling, ease of engine conversion etc etc.

At the moment I'm looking at two sedans a 77' KE30 and an 80' KE55 - with any luck I'll be the proud of my own 'rolla soon and I'll be posting a little bit more.

Cheers

Ctwitch

Members dont see this ad

If I had a choice, I'd look for a coupe/hardtop. Personally, I'd also try to go earlier rather than later. Less pollution gear and usually lighter.

Look for rust in the lower parts of the body (guards, sills, rear quarters), around the battery, the firewall, roof gutters and under the fuel cap. I'm sure others will add other areas to look at.

Mechanically, k series engines are usually good unless they are not maintained. If you are looking into a conversion, anything if possible but may not be able to be registered.

Cost, how much is the car worth to you?

Get an auto, they're much harder for P-platers to thrash than Mum's old manual...''

I like the KE70s for the 5-link, everything else has Roman cart axles. The little coupes look nice but suffer axle-tramp and hopping and bump-steer and....

Also, cars that have spent their lives inland fare better in the rust stakes than those at the coast. Chase the ones from inland towns.