May 31, 201412 yr comment_683525 Hey guys I've just bought a pretty straight stock 82 ke70 xx. Apart from the general fixing up of the bog and rust throughout the car I was thinking of a few little mods to do on not the biggest budget. After all the body work is finished I'd probably be respraying it at home after getting a little more experienced in painting. I'd also be aiming for some wider wheels and was looking at 15x8+0, some opinions on that would be great. Lastly the stock 4k is a little bit on the slow side, some opinions on whether the 4k is actually worth the work or something like a 4age would be more appropriate. As far as I know there is an exemption available for P plates in queensland, if anyone has had any experience with that i'd love to hear. Thanks Guys. Report
May 31, 201412 yr comment_683527 Welcome to the forum! 15x8 zero wheels would require lipping and pumping your guards slightly. So best to get this done before you do your paint. Easy and quick to do with a guard roller. This is an excellent write up on some basics for making your 4k more exciting : link. A 4AGE is always going to be a better option as it is a better engine. It would probably cost around the same kind of money as a tough 4K build also if you kept it stock. There are a lot more things you need to do for a 4AGE though. K motor: build, drop back in, done. 4AGE : engine mounts, gearbox mounts, tailshaft, gearbox, pedal box, hydro lines, brake upgrade, wiring... there is a lot more stuff that needs upgrading and replacing. As far as the P plate exemption I was under the assumption that a P plater was not allowed to drive a car with a mod plate for performance. Probably best to talk to the department of transport about that to get proper clear information instead of hearsay. Report
June 1, 201412 yr Author comment_683555 Thanks for the reply Yeah I've been looking into trying to find a mechanic with a guard roller or just any of them for rental, would be a bit silly to buy one for a one time use. Thanks for the link and other tips will consider it all. Report
June 1, 201412 yr comment_683562 would be a bit silly to buy one for a one time use. I bought one for my rear guards :P it was only $85 and used it on a mates car within the week. Pretty handy tool. Where are you located? Report
June 2, 201412 yr Author comment_683593 I'm on the southside of brisbane, splitting one with a few mates would probably be a good idea, where abouts did you buy yours? Report
June 2, 201412 yr Author comment_683610 Might just head on ebay, i'll ask around if anyone is needing one, thanks for the offer though, I'll get back to you if i don't get anyone who wants to split it Report
June 2, 201412 yr Author comment_683622 Also If you know, I'm a bit confused with tyre stretching, I don't want it to be unsafe and everything but i would like it to fit nice in the rolled guards. Is it unsafe or illegal to run 195's or something on 8 inch's Report
June 2, 201412 yr comment_683623 Probably not legal but it doesnt look really hectic, I'm running them on my 8's. Report
June 2, 201412 yr Author comment_683626 Are they 15x8 +0 steelies from ebay? i was thinking of getting a set of them to save a heap of money. That looks quite nice, I'm just not sure if any shops would put them on for me? Report
June 2, 201412 yr comment_683631 Grizzly Imports. Take the wheels in and say its for a track car. Report
June 2, 201412 yr comment_683643 They do pop off the rim easier than than they should, according to a rally mate who owns tyre shops. Halfway through a corner with the outside front wheel loaded up, the tyre rolling underneath and you hit a sharp little pothole or hollow in the road... I'm not sure at what size they get to be a problem, these guys say a 15x8 can take anything from 215 to 245, so a 205 would probably be fine. http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator Report
June 3, 201412 yr Author comment_683646 That's wierd , I was looking at those exact wheels with the same tyres stretched , well I'll have to consider whether it's worth it then , haven't made any final decisions yet . Thanks guys Report
June 3, 201412 yr Author comment_683647 That's wierd , I was looking at those exact wheels with the same tyres stretched , well I'll have to consider whether it's worth it then , haven't made any final decisions yet . Thanks guys Report
June 3, 201412 yr comment_683651 i was looking at those same wheels there cheap only down side is there a few people who have them now :( and i want me 70 to stand out Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now